diy solar

diy solar

China customs bans shipping of lithium batteries?

dddem

Two of my freight forwarders told me they could not accept LiFePO4 cells for shipping since Aug 1. The second one told me it is because of a crackdown by Chinese customs on dangerous goods in ports. He sent me the below text:

近期海关总署对口岸危险品开展专项严打,为期100天,危险品除了常规的烟花、爆竹、打火机、指甲油、香水、蓄电池、锂电池、压力罐装的产品等,现产品里面包含电池都算危险品,比如:电动理发剪、电动剃须刀、电动工具等充电的里面装有锂电池的都算危险品一律移交至海事 ,移交海事基本上排队进危险品仓库至少1个月,存在没收货物的可能,海运暂时不接带电产品

Which Google translates:

Recently, the General Administration of Customs launched a special crackdown on dangerous goods at ports for a period of 100 days. In addition to conventional fireworks, firecrackers, lighters, nail polish, perfume, batteries, lithium batteries, and pressure canned products, the current products include batteries. Dangerous goods, such as: electric hair clippers, electric shavers, electric tools, etc. that are charged with lithium batteries are considered dangerous goods and will be handed over to the maritime sector. The possibility of confiscation of the goods, the sea will not accept live products temporarily

I'll bet they see "lithium iron phosphate battery" and read it as "LITHIUM iron phosphate BATTERY" and totally freak out.

I'll bet they see "lithium iron phosphate battery" and read it as "LITHIUM iron phosphate BATTERY" and totally freak out.
My forwarder said he is waiting for clarification and that I should contact him again in September. But if you read the text, they are even banning gadgets that are powered by lithium batteries. Looks like an excuse to decongest their ports imo...

This being said, I Googled and cannot find any related news... :unsure:

I asked Amy at Luyuan Tech whether she is aware...

Is it a labeling issue? Sounds like a fix would be easy to implement, but at what cost is probably the biggest concern.

Also did it state “cells” or “batteries” two different things.

Not sure related but just had set from China i mean California get sent back saying hazard materials, about 10 days ago but had no problems coming east to west.

I've also contacted a few of my people over there. It is just Nigeria that is affected at this time. However certain new labeling and marking rules are coming shortly. No effect on the shipments.

Nice find. It might suddenly become more difficult and/or expensive to purchase batteries directly from China.
I've also contacted a few of my people over there. It is just Nigeria that is affected at this time. However certain new labeling and marking rules are coming shortly. No effect on the shipments.
Not just Nigeria. Two of the big freight forwarders of Chinese goods to the Philippines also currently refuse to ship batteries.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is connected to the recent Pelosi trip. They still seem to be freaking out about it.

Or, the impending real estate and financial collapse that is shaking things up over there. Their financial institutions are in trouble and hopefully, the fallout doesn't reach other shores. Chinese officials aren't know for being pragmatic.

Or, the impending real estate and financial collapse that is shaking things up over there. Their financial institutions are in trouble and hopefully, the fallout doesn't reach other shores. Chinese officials aren't know for being pragmatic.
Yeah I have been hearing a lot of stuff from some of my old colleagues that are still with our company.
I still cannot figure out why they are trying the impossible with Covid. At some point you would think the financial hit would wake them up, but for some reason they persist with the Zero Covid policy.

Yeah I have been hearing a lot of stuff from some of my old colleagues that are still with our company.
I still cannot figure out why they are trying the impossible with Covid. At some point you would think the financial hit would wake them up, but for some reason they persist with the Zero Covid policy.

It is like they are blowing their own feet off. It is really bizarre.

It is like they are blowing their own feet off. It is really bizarre.
Yes and since Covid has two possible origins, one Natural and one Man Made it has had a lot of my friends in our little think tank wondering.
If it's man made and escaped then the question is what do they know about it that we do not know? It would have to be something so big that they are willing to sacrifice all of their gains over the last 20 years to prevent it from spreading.
Scary if true.

And BTW if any of you start having a Craving for Brains please let me know ASAP. :ROFLMAO:o_O:eek:

Yes and since Covid has two possible origins, one Natural and one Man Made it has had a lot of my friends in our little think tank wondering.
If it's man made and escaped then the question is what do they know about it that we do not know? It would have to be something so big that they are willing to sacrifice all of their gains over the last 20 years to prevent it from spreading.
Scary if true.

And BTW if any of you start having a Craving for Brains please let me know ASAP. :ROFLMAO:o_O:eek:
Or the whole things was designed to screw up the western economies. If they gotta screw up their own in the process, that’s just a small blip in their planning horizon.

Go/baduk is their national game.

Kill the supply of parts to the west and take Taiwan and Korea and anything else in the region that they deem as theirs.

History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.

Back