diy solar

diy solar

China customs bans shipping of lithium batteries?

probably political aspects to these enforcement actions,
Never mind task enforcement mentality and not goal/results oriented; the enforcement is done by people whose sustenance is at risk so they merely do a ‘task’ out of fear rather than a holistic, mindful intent…

Tesla makes large "Megapack" storage batteries in a few US locations, but those are described as Li-ion batteries. I don't know where the cells come from.

Ok I will be VERY specific.

Tesla does NOT make Lifepo4 batteries for solar use here in the USA hence we have nowhere else to buy them except China for now.

As far as I know NOBODY makes Lifepo4 cells here in the USA.

Did you really read what I said.....Qoute.......”China built Tesla’a are all LFP”

Correction.......Nobody makes LFP cells for sale in the U.S.

That is the restriction, there are many places experimenting with many types of batteries here in the U.S.
I have seen LFP’s in development labs here in Silicon Valley

I never said that the Chinese Tesla automobile was made in America or of American parts. The Chinese Tesla’s are made, assembled, and sold in China and probably elsewhere in Asia, They are not available in the U.S.

Vehicles that are LFP powered are built here in America, mostly American parts but the battery cells are manufactured in China

because suddenly low income countries will stop having access to technology I guess?
Why would they not have access to technology? Technology will continue to be sold to any one who can afford it.

The question is, where will manufacturing go if manufacturing doesn't need manual labour? With solar being one of the cheapest source of energy, will it go to places that have year round sun and a stable government?

Why would they not have access to technology? Technology will continue to be sold to any one who can afford it.

The question is, where will manufacturing go if manufacturing doesn't need manual labour? With solar being one of the cheapest source of energy, will it go to places that have year round sun and a stable government?

Is solar one of the cheapest forms of energy?

But lets get back to shipping batteries, are LiFePo4 batteries a hazardous to ship?

Not really but that is subject to a lot of opinion.. Most dealers discharge them to 50-60% capacity as a safety measure after testing to full capacity

New plant designs are extremely safe.
Execpt Russia’s RBMK (Chernobyl) and GE’s BWR reactor (boiling water reactor) Fukushima.
Full meltdown after hydrogen explosion and loss of cooling water

Three Mile island was Westinghouse/Babcock Wilcox PWR (pressurized water reactor) insignificant radiation released
full core meltdown but contained by superior design

My local reactor received new steam generators in 2011 that proved defective. Waste is now buried on site in a steel and concrete vault. The rest of the plant is being deconstructed. Safe in theory but safe in practice I have doubts. Cost ultimately killed it.

I will take wind, solar, batteries any day.

From what I gather, they're not, but some regulatory agencies apparently don't make a distinction between various lithium battery chemistries.

Because they shouldn't.

LFP electrolyte is flammable. It will burn in the presence of flame. Couple that with stored chemical energy, and you've got the criteria for hazardous materials.

They are safER than NCA, NCM, LMO chemistries because those also produce oxygen as they break down. oxygen + combustible = burns hotter and faster.

Yes. If you use the power, and all the power, and nothing but the power, which comes from a PV panel. And continue to do so for two or more decades.
I put the hardware cost I would pay at $1/W for a grid-tie system, works out to $0.025/kWh amortized over 20 years. (utility scale could be much cheaper.)

That's "amortized", as in, ignoring the time value of money (which has been a good approximation for several years.)
Cost of wholesale grid-scale PV may rise in the future as interest rates return to normal.

Fewer people.

Growth of human population has lead to a drastic decline of natural food sources like fish population.
Prime agricultural land has been converted to more profitable uses, like urban centers. In hot locations, where large amounts of energy are required for air conditioning.

As population's food needs cross over Earth's production capacity, things will get ugly.

Because if ‘we’ remove purpose, productivity, and achievement from society we will get more mass shooters and other crimes and eventually wars because of the cultural and societal consequences and dependencies that will create. We are already seeing the harbingers of that as ‘we’ in the USA have created/allowed the ‘existence’ of people, groups, and even industries to survive without participation or optimizing their societal and economic success. When I pondered these thoughts as a teenager (1980) I viewed them as ideas and theory; 40 years later I see them as predictive observation.
Absolutely, so what do you propose as a solution?
A protracted, carefully crafted plan to restore freedom and create the circumstances where personal industriousness is sufficient to participate in ensuring society’s success and provide for one’s own needs in that society.
With 1/3 of the federal budget geared towards sustainability of comfortable poverty, we could begin diverting those dollars to a sustainable economy that doesn’t require massive government infrastructure and management. It took us 75+ years to get here: we need to embark on a 25-year plan sociologically, monetarily, and economically to turn the tide that will surely leave us looking like the set of a major Hollywood production of a three-volume series of dystopian novels.
We can start with the Most Holy Washington DC machine.

Because if ‘we’ remove purpose, productivity, and achievement from society we will get more mass shooters and other crimes and eventually wars because of the cultural and societal consequences and dependencies that will create. We are already seeing the harbingers of that as ‘we’ in the USA have created/allowed the ‘existence’ of people, groups, and even industries to survive without participation or optimizing their societal and economic success. When I pondered these thoughts as a teenager (1980) I viewed them as ideas and theory; 40 years later I see them as predictive observation.

A protracted, carefully crafted plan to restore freedom and create the circumstances where personal industriousness is sufficient to participate in ensuring society’s success and provide for one’s own needs in that society.
With 1/3 of the federal budget geared towards sustainability of comfortable poverty, we could begin diverting those dollars to a sustainable economy that doesn’t require massive government infrastructure and management. It took us 75+ years to get here: we need to embark on a 25-year plan sociologically, monetarily, and economically to turn the tide that will surely leave us looking like the set of a major Hollywood production of a three-volume series of dystopian novels.
We can start with the Most Holy Washington DC machine.
Glad you are thinking about this, but lets take it a little further. What do you think will happen when AI is smarter than the smartest person?

Back