diy solar

diy solar

China is urging families to stock up on food as supply challenges multiply

HOU_Castle

Learning Everyday....
Today both CNN and BBC news around "Supply Chain Issues". CNN: "China is urging families to stock up on food as supply challenges multiply". The reason beings: Covid, winter, natural disaster, electricity shortage, resource shortage, and etc.. Climate Change? Geopolitics? with Taiwan and South China Sea?
How about here in US?

Airline industries have seen big challenges from resources shortage (both vaccine mandate and workers not returning to work), fuel surge/limited supply, etc. Now, the work hazard dealing with passengers is also increasing. We have not seen bad winter yet; this will impact transportation and other critical supplies. I guess to tackle this from my perspective is buying locals and open minded to buy used item in working condition. These supply chain issues will definitely increase the price for the item. Many experts claimed it is transitory type of inflation. I don't think so, due to wage increased, supply chain issues, supply and demand, etc.
The question is should we stock up food and water? to anticipate shortage.

Today both CNN and BBC news around "Supply Chain Issues". CNN: "China is urging families to stock up on food as supply challenges multiply". The reason beings: Covid, winter, natural disaster, electricity shortage, resource shortage, and etc.. Climate Change? Geopolitics? with Taiwan and South China Sea?
How about here in US?

You should have a year's worth of food, toiletries, and medical supplies, stocked in your home at all times. You should also have multiple ways of heating your home if you're in a cold climate, and multiple ways of providing some level of power and lighting.

You should also keep some form of self defense.

You don't need an underground bunker or an arsenal.. but you should be prepared for some level of mass disruption of your normal way of life.

I would also suggest everyone stock up on seeds for their own garden.

Think of the investment as a form of insurance.. Like homeowners insurance, life insurance, or medical insurance. You pay thousands every year for these insurance policies and most of your money goes to waste because you never use these policies. Think of stocking of prepping as an insurance policy, except that even if you don't use the policy, you get to keep the stuff.

We keep 3 to 5 years worth of supplies.. many of which we rotate through them. When we get down to a two year supply, we go out and buy two or three years more to refill.

I second everything MurphyGuy stated. It is imperative that you do what's best for you and yours.
Attached is an American Red Cross Family Disaster plan which allows you to put tings into perspective.
A FEMA Ready Checklist because the Government is always moments away when SECONDS count.
Lastly a CDC After Action Review of Katrina regarding infectious diseases. Just plug in the populous of your area to figure similar results.

Attachments

• ARC_Family_Disaster_Plan_Template_r083012.pdf
    358.2 KB · Views: 15
  • ready_checklist.pdf
    148.6 KB · Views: 14
  • USA031210.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 16
Yep, I have only stocked up for 8 months food and water supplies. Recently, I built DIY solar power batteries for electricity and lighting.
The concerned is the security since I have young family, even though I have enough fire arms and ammo supplies. Hard to guard your stuff 24/7, need to form or join community, which shares same values.

Last edited:
I am trying to wrap my head around the idea of having a year worth of food in storage.
I assume you guys are talking about MRE or cheap canned goods. MRE's are very expensive.
1 years worth assuming 2 meals a day would be nearly $5500 per person. I know they last 3-5 years but still that is a lot of reoccurring expenses, especially if you assume at least 3 people residing in a typical house. Then comes the question of do you leave your older kids, your parents and siblings out in the cold? So for me the answer is No, I would have to let any close family member into my house and that then puts the meal plan in jeopardy.
A better investment is in a few rifles including a .22's plus lots of Ammo as Squirrel's, Rabbits etc might be the main course and just maybe have 2 months of MRE's plus a lot of fishing gear if I am near enough to the water.

I have zero concerns about basic food supplies in the US. Never owned a gun and certainly not going to now.
I find it odd to have the China government suggesting to stockpile food. If taken half seriously it should create a self fulfilling prophesy.

I am trying to wrap my head around the idea of having a year worth of food in storage.
I assume you guys are talking about MRE or cheap canned goods. MRE's are very expensive.
1 years worth assuming 2 meals a day would be nearly $5500 per person. I know they last 3-5 years but still that is a lot of reoccurring expenses, especially if you assume at least 3 people residing in a typical house. Then comes the question of do you leave your older kids, your parents and siblings out in the cold? So for me the answer is No, I would have to let any close family member into my house and that then puts the meal plan in jeopardy.
A better investment is in a few rifles including a .22's plus lots of Ammo as Squirrel's, Rabbits etc might be the main course and just maybe have 2 months of MRE's plus a lot of fishing gear if I am near enough to the water.

If you purchase your food from a common grocery store, then yes, its going to be mighty expensive.

We bought most of our food from a bulk foods store.. and a lot of it came in 50 lb bags. 50lb bags of rice, beans, corn, oats, lentils, split peas, flour, sugar, etc. At the time, we were paying about $25 per 50lb bag on average. $500 later, we had enough food to keep us easily fed for a year. My wife would also pay attention to really good sales at the stores. Tuna went on sale for 30 cents a can so she bought 300 cans.. we still joke about the comments from the cashier. Then Sam's Club had a crazy sale on Chef Boy Ardee Ravioli so we bought 100 cans of that.. a couple months later, they had a crazy sale on Condensed Mushroom Soup, so another 100 cans since that stuff can be used in all kinds of dinner recipes.

And on and on it went. It wasn't going to be the most diverse diet, but it would keep us alive and fed.. A year later, we bought a freeze dryer, and that opened up a whole new world. And let me tell you, freeze dried meat is nearly indistinguishable from frozen meat once its cooked.

That year, Thanksgiving came around and turkey went on sale like it always does so she bought 15 of them.. We'd cook one per week, complete with the stuffing inside, and then I'd freeze dry it..

Then Sam's Club had a really good sale on pasta for 40 cents a pound, so we bought 200 lbs of spaghetti.. (the good stuff, not some generic brand).
Our freeze dryer has allowed us to buy things on sale in bulk quantities and freeze dry them. All kinds of fresh fruits, cheeses, vegetables, etc. It has also allowed us to take all the canned goods and freeze dry them as well, which extends their life from 5 years in a can to a solid 25 or 30 years.

We have bulk storage items like the rice and beans, entire pre-cooked dinners (just add hot water), and even a good supply of what we call "comfort foods" like snacks and chocolate. Our total investment in food is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of about $2500 for three solid years for our family. And that doesn't include what's in our three deep freezers or what we could hunt or grow.

One of our worries: While everyone else is loosing weight, we'll still be fat and happy.. We'll have to fake it for a while.

For probably around $600, you could put away enough of those 50lb bags of staples to feed a family of 4 for a year.. The lack of variety might get boring, but you wouldn't be doing stupid things or risking your life because you're hungry.

MRE's are a VERY BAD idea.. The "long term storage" concept is a myth as they have a very limited shelf life that depends on storage temperature and is measured in the 3 to 5 year range at best. They are also crazy expensive. (You can google MRE storage).

As for your family, that is a tough question that every prepper has to wrestle with. My family is small, but even so, I store extra rice and beans for my neighbors, and since I live in a rural area, I can shoot a deer out my bedroom window almost every day of the year if I had to.

Prepping is wise.. because by the time you realize there's a problem, it will already be too late to do anything about it.

Attachments

• bags.jpg
    bags.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 19
I have zero concerns about basic food supplies in the US. Never owned a gun and certainly not going to now.
I find it odd to have the China government suggesting to stockpile food. If taken half seriously it should create a self fulfilling prophesy.
Good luck with that...
You'll probably be fine.. the chances of something big happening are very very small. Problem is, the consequences are huge if it does. It doesn't cost much to have basic preps..

One of our worries: While everyone else is loosing weight, we'll still be fat and happy.. We'll have to fake it for a while.
And there in lies the biggest problem with Prepping for EOD.
If you have it they will come and get it from you!
You can stock up on all the Ammo and Guns in the world but no one can deal with a group of armed hungry people who are determined to get your stuff unless your also part of a well armed group of people defending the stuff.

Last edited:

Food distribution could be an issue. Roads/bridges could be damaged. More likely, power outages, and then fuel can't be pumped for trucks. Refrigerated storage lost. There would be food elsewhere in the U.S. but it might not reach you for a while.

If food becomes scarce, how do you think people will behave? Even if supplies were airdropped, you probably couldn't get your share.
And look at what has happened some places when the lights went out.

You ought to have a stash of food and water. Maybe enough to last a month, which isn't a big deal. Probably you would only rely on it for a few days.

Weapons obviously come with their own problems. But if disasters strike, some places people will break in anywhere they can, take whatever they want, and maybe attack people. Your choice if you want to be a pacifist. Your right if you want to defend your family in the event someone enters your home by force.

Food distribution could be an issue. Roads/bridges could be damaged. More likely, power outages, and then fuel can't be pumped for trucks. Refrigerated storage lost. There would be food elsewhere in the U.S. but it might not reach you for a while.

If food becomes scarce, how do you think people will behave? Even if supplies were airdropped, you probably couldn't get your share.
And look at what has happened some places when the lights went out.

You ought to have a stash of food and water. Maybe enough to last a month, which isn't a big deal. Probably you would only rely on it for a few days.

Weapons obviously come with their own problems. But if disasters strike, some places people will break in anywhere they can, take whatever they want, and maybe attack people. Your choice if you want to be a pacifist. Your right if you want to defend your family in the event someone enters your home by force.
And if we are honest about it America is probably one of the worst places to be after a major catastrophe.
People who have lived a spoiled and often privileged life are the most dangerous, especially when 60% of them are armed. You can go to many countries where the people have never had much to begin with and they will typically be the most passive and sharing individuals on the planet.
We Pat ourselves on the back when we give away some money to a destitute person but the most stunning generosity I have seen was a very skinny starving man breaking a small section of bread in two and sharing it with another starving man. I witnessed this during a trip abroad and it was impactful.

I guess you forgot, didn't know, or, didn't care about when the Cops shot those people during that hurricane who were trying to simply cross a bridge (too look for food)?

I'm fine if everyone else doesn't prepare though. Darwin works well that way.

And there in lies the biggest problem with Prepping for EOD.
If you have it they will come and get it from you!
You can stock up on all the Ammo and Guns in the world but no one can deal with a group of armed hungry people who are determined to get your stuff unless your also part of a well armed group of people defending the stuff.
I think that's an internet myth. Someone who watches too many post apocalyptic zombie movies probably started that idea and those who fantasize too much just accepted it...

When bullets start flying, people start running. Any armed group raiding people's homes aren't going to last very long, and if I see armed people walking down my road attacking homes, I'm not going to wait until its my turn..

Regardless, I'm in the rural countryside and I'm friends with all my neighbors.

I do suspect that the gangs in the big cities will most likely do something similar to what you suggest, but even they will die out quickly as they get picked off one by one.

One other thought.. regardless of the situation, it is better to be prepared than to not be prepared.

And if we are honest about it America is probably one of the worst places to be after a major catastrophe.
People who have lived a spoiled and often privileged life are the most dangerous, especially when 60% of them are armed. You can go to many countries where the people have never had much to begin with and they will typically be the most passive and sharing individuals on the planet.
We Pat ourselves on the back when we give away some money to a destitute person but the most stunning generosity I have seen was a very skinny starving man breaking a small section of bread in two and sharing it with another starving man. I witnessed this during a trip abroad and it was impactful.

We have a lot of guns in the USA, but most people don't know how to properly use them, don't understand basic fundamentals. I'd estimate that a full 20% of firearm owners would probably be more dangerous to themselves and their own group than to anyone else.

Also, most guns in the USA are not meant for combat.. they are pistols, bolt action hunting rifles, and shotguns. And the people that own them have little ammo, and not even the right kind of ammo. Hmm. a hunting rifle would be dangerous if used correctly..

I've always been surprised by how many people actually think a refrigerator or kitchen appliance will stop a bullet.. or that hiding in their vinyl sided house will protect them.

As I told my wife.. if you're ever shooting at someone hiding behind a car, just pretend the car isn't even there.. Even a 22lr will go right through a vehicle most times..

And those spoiled and privileged people? They'll probably get sick and die of dysentery or something similar from drinking contaminated water because they thought that it being clear means safe to drink.

But like I said, none of this is ever likely to happen... but its still wise to be prepared.

I think that's an internet myth. Someone who watches too many post apocalyptic zombie movies probably started that idea and those who fantasize too much just accepted it...
It’s not an internet myth. We have many real world examples of that happening. Take your pick from parts of Africa to the Afghanistan. As soon as an organized society collapse the weak perish and the strong fight it out but it doesn’t take long before large ruthless gangs form and those are not easy pray neither are they stupid. If they are in certain areas that have been picked dry they fan out seeking new targets.
When bullets start flying, people start running. Any armed group raiding people's homes aren't going to last very long, and if I see armed people walking down my road attacking homes, I'm not going to wait until its my turn..
One man in a tree 200 yards away with just basic rifle skills and a 6x scope can really ruin your day.
Regardless, I'm in the rural countryside and I'm friends with all my neighbors.
That’s the key part, making your own little village that is based on sharing and mutual survival.
I do suspect that the gangs in the big cities will most likely do something similar to what you suggest, but even they will die out quickly as they get picked off one by one.
As I said gangs fight just like any faction but it’s not long before they unite into a cohesive group.
One other thought.. regardless of the situation, it is better to be prepared than to not be prepared.
Agree but I don’t subscribe to prepping for events like WW3.

It’s not an internet myth. We have many real world examples of that happening. Take your pick from parts of Africa to the Afghanistan. As soon as an organized society collapse the weak perish and the strong fight it out but it doesn’t take long before large ruthless gangs form and those are not easy pray neither are they stupid. If they are in certain areas that have been picked dry they fan out seeking new targets.

One man in a tree 200 yards away with just basic rifle skills and a 6x scope can really ruin your day.

That’s the key part, making your own little village that is based on sharing and mutual survival.

As I said gangs fight just like any faction but it’s not long before they unite into a cohesive group.

Agree but I don’t subscribe to prepping for events like WW3.
People will die.. The entire concept of prepping is to increase the odds of survival.

Full time RVer, I can move to rural areas.. Prep some before covid lock down. I have a month or more of canned foods and pasta and TP. Can stretch my water tanks supply from1 week to 3 weeks. Also have a microbal water filter. Propane lasts months in the summer, maybe 1-2 months in winter. Solar panels can keep every thing running, except AC. I can tolerate short term disruptions, like a Trucker anti-vax strike.
I don't have a gun. Too many States, such a bizarre patch work of laws.

I generally advise people to stock up on what they would normally use anyway. Those 5 gallon bucket food kits with a 20 year shelf life are ok if you’re desperate but its easier and cheaper to buy some extra canned goods with a shelf life of several years and rotate them through normal meals. A can of baked beans can be eaten cold out of the can. Rice is good unless you have no way to boil water. Prepping takes some thought and planning but can be done without breaking the bank.

Back