diy solar

diy solar

Chinese New Year – or what I call “Where the ^$%^ is my battery shipment? (order now)

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
EE from LAX CA -work in SouthTX for giant evil Oil
Sorry for the title - seemed to be a little clickbait after I posted it ... I was going to go with Chinese New Year – or what I call “Where the ^$%^ is my battery shipment?” but that was toooo long

SOOOO every year we go through this TOPIC so going to try to help you. Hoping to make this short …but have I ever.

Bottom Line Up Front: If you need LiFePO4 batteries you should order them YESTERDAY !!!
The coming Chinese New Year is the most significant holiday for my people and also the longest one. This is a chaotic period during which the entire Chinese industry, ENTIRE …including the battery manufacturers and shippers ALL shut down for a month.

The Chinese New Year (CNY) of 2021 starts on Friday, 12 February, and officially lasts for 7 days in Mainland China. While many of us Asians are painfully aware of the Chinese New Year, and the coming disruption to all production, many of you “other” are not and are caught completely off guard. (No this is not a secret plan for world domination – but could be – :cool: :cool: )

Also this year we also have the COVID-19 factor to take into consideration.

While the official holiday only lasts for about a week, most factories are closed for an entire month, (did I say that already) with disruptions lasting even longer.

SO a couple of things to keep in mind: While the Chinese New Year Eve is set on Friday, 12 February 2021, all suppliers start to wind down operations one to two weeks in advance.

THEN production is normally not started up for at least two weeks after the Chinese New Years Eve since most workers remain in their home provinces for an extra week or two. This explains why most suppliers are not back in business until two, sometimes even three, weeks after the Chinese New Years’ Eve.

As we have seen in especially the LiFePO4 market - Getting operations back to normal can take up to a month (or more) after the folks come back to work. The reason for that is that no one tells their employers that they are quitting until AFTER the holiday so they get their bonus and final paycheck already. Depending on the number of workers departing in secret, it can cause severe disruptions across the entire supply chain. Finding, and training, a new batch of workers provides new challenges of its own. Skilled workers are, to a certain degree, replaced by rookies. And in the battery business THAT is not good.

For Battery purchases, this is one, of two reasons, why the risk of quality issues is VERY HIGH right after the end of the Chinese New Year. Allot of the skilled battery workers are gone to other companies and suddenly you have “bubba” (not sure what bubba translates into Chinese) but suddenly Kim is trying to learn complex LiFePO4 battery manufacturing by watching a YouTube video …

If you are reading this on 13 DEC then you should already be thinking “If I need batteries in the next 4 months I need to order them NOW” ..

Avoid placing battery orders in January: Remember what I mentioned about the risk of quality issues Post-CNY? The same applies to the January rush, leading up to the CNY.

Never place orders UNTIL the manufacturer tells you that the will definitely ship and GET OUT OF CHINA prior to the shutdown. Just because it leaves the factory does not mean its on its way !!

If the company that you are buying batteries from is NOT a major company then I would try to avoid making payment prior to the Chinese New Year since some suppliers never open again. If they do intend to shut down, they’ll most likely do so at the time of the CNY.

So for my guys here at work this is our CNY 2021 Timeline… don’t quote me on this – this is just for our engineers ordering everything from batteries to antennas to naked farm animals …

This is a rough timeline. Ultimately, it depends on the suppliers’ schedule.
December 30: Last day to place an order for delivery before the CNY
January 15th – 22nd: No new orders are started (all new orders will enter production after CNY)
January 29th: Most suppliers and subcontractors stop production, causing disruption in the supply chain
February 5th: Most workers have already left the factories. Sales reps, engineers, and management may still be around for a couple of days
February 9th: All personnel has left the factory (including sales reps and managers)
February 12th: Chinese New Years Eve
February 22nd – 26th: Most sales reps and engineers are back in the factory, or at least respond to emails and calls. Some factories resume production
March 1st – 5th: Most factories are now operational and production resumes

Hi ghostwriter66,

i need to order batteries now and your post worries me! If I understood correctly, by ordering now I risk receiving a poor quality battery? Do sellers on Alibaba not have stock? thank you

Hi ghostwriter66,

i need to order batteries now and your post worries me! If I understood correctly, by ordering now I risk receiving a poor quality battery? Do sellers on Alibaba not have stock? thank you
I just ordered 8 cells of 280aH from Shenzhen Basen Technology Co., Ltd. Alex Chen (rep) informed me that the cells will be shipped tomorrow and should receive it around 35 days. I was able to get cheaper shipping price than what was displayed after giving him my address.

I initiated contact with Alex for the order to confirm product in stock and delivery time before making blank purchase. He did assure me that my order will be sent out tomorrow. As I was communicating with Alex, Alibaba Trade Assurance advises to get all of the details first before making the purchase. Hope this helps.

my supplier as well as my carrier said they would be closed from January 10th to February 20th

I just ordered 8 cells of 280aH from Shenzhen Basen Technology Co., Ltd. Alex Chen (rep) informed me that the cells will be shipped tomorrow and should receive it around 35 days. I was able to get cheaper shipping price than what was displayed after giving him my address.

I initiated contact with Alex for the order to confirm product in stock and delivery time before making blank purchase. He did assure me that my order will be sent out tomorrow. As I was communicating with Alex, Alibaba Trade Assurance advises to get all of the details first before making the purchase. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your answer. In a hurry (after seeing this post) I launched an order. According to the seller the batteries are in stock and will be dispatched on Monday. It should be good...

Thank you for your answer. In a hurry (after seeing this post) I launched an order. According to the seller the batteries are in stock and will be dispatched on Monday. It should be good...
What was the cost per cell, shipping exclusive?
.I got 83usd for 300ah Catl cells from xuba

Sorry for the title - seemed to be a little clickbait after I posted it ... I was going to go with Chinese New Year – or what I call “Where the ^$%^ is my battery shipment?” but that was toooo long

SOOOO every year we go through this TOPIC so going to try to help you. Hoping to make this short …but have I ever.

Bottom Line Up Front: If you need LiFePO4 batteries you should order them YESTERDAY !!!
The coming Chinese New Year is the most significant holiday for my people and also the longest one. This is a chaotic period during which the entire Chinese industry, ENTIRE …including the battery manufacturers and shippers ALL shut down for a month.

The Chinese New Year (CNY) of 2021 starts on Friday, 12 February, and officially lasts for 7 days in Mainland China. While many of us Asians are painfully aware of the Chinese New Year, and the coming disruption to all production, many of you “other” are not and are caught completely off guard. (No this is not a secret plan for world domination – but could be – :cool: :cool: )

While the official holiday only lasts for about a week, most factories are closed for an entire month, (did I say that already) with disruptions lasting even longer.

SO a couple of things to keep in mind: While the Chinese New Year Eve is set on Friday, 12 February 2021, all suppliers start to wind down operations one to two weeks in advance.

THEN production is normally not started up for at least two weeks after the Chinese New Years Eve since most workers remain in their home provinces for an extra week or two. This explains why most suppliers are not back in business until two, sometimes even three, weeks after the Chinese New Years’ Eve.

As we have seen in especially the LiFePO4 market - Getting operations back to normal can take up to a month (or more) after the folks come back to work. The reason for that is that no one tells their employers that they are quitting until AFTER the holiday so they get their bonus and final paycheck already. Depending on the number of workers departing in secret, it can cause severe disruptions across the entire supply chain. Finding, and training, a new batch of workers provides new challenges of its own. Skilled workers are, to a certain degree, replaced by rookies. And in the battery business THAT is not good.

For Battery purchases, this is one, of two reasons, why the risk of quality issues is VERY HIGH right after the end of the Chinese New Year. Allot of the skilled battery workers are gone to other companies and suddenly you have “bubba” (not sure what bubba translates into Chinese) but suddenly Kim is trying to learn complex LiFePO4 battery manufacturing by watching a YouTube video …

If you are reading this on 13 DEC then you should already be thinking “If I need batteries in the next 4 months I need to order them NOW” ..

Avoid placing battery orders in January: Remember what I mentioned about the risk of quality issues Post-CNY? The same applies to the January rush, leading up to the CNY.

Never place orders UNTIL the manufacturer tells you that the will definitely ship and GET OUT OF CHINA prior to the shutdown. Just because it leaves the factory does not mean its on its way !!

If the company that you are buying batteries from is NOT a major company then I would try to avoid making payment prior to the Chinese New Year since some suppliers never open again. If they do intend to shut down, they’ll most likely do so at the time of the CNY.

So for my guys here at work this is our CNY 2021 Timeline… don’t quote me on this – this is just for our engineers ordering everything from batteries to antennas to naked farm animals …

January 15th – 22nd: No new orders are started (all new orders will enter production after CNY)
January 29th: Most suppliers and subcontractors stop production, causing disruption in the supply chain
February 5th: Most workers have already left the factories. Sales reps, engineers, and management may still be around for a couple of days
February 9th: All personnel has left the factory (including sales reps and managers)
February 22nd – 26th: Most sales reps and engineers are back in the factory, or at least respond to emails and calls. Some factories resume production
So whats your advice for someone like me?

Do you think battery price will come down in april.i intend switching out my lead acid, but now confused if i should pull the trigger now on 272ah Lishens and risk getting defective cells in the mix or wait it out till april, maybe prices will come down?? & higher quality batteries will be available

So whats your advice for someone like me?

Do you think battery price will come down in april.i intend switching out my lead acid, but now confused if i should pull the trigger now on 272ah Lishens and risk getting defective cells in the mix or wait it out till april, maybe prices will come down?? & higher quality batteries will be available

Personally if i was you I would pull the trigger NOW -- I don't see prices going much lower - they have already started to stagnate - and honestly - 50% of the price is from shipping costs ... right now the quality will be GOOD ... for 30 days AFTER the Chinese new year is over is when quality gets whacky (sometimes) ...

Thank you for this information. I was oblivious to this issue and your post prompted me to action. I had purchased 8 of the 280ah last summer from Dongguan Billion Electronic Technology and had just decided to get another set (to add) and went to this forum to see the latest advice last Friday night (1/8/2021) and I was very concerned I may have literally missed the boat. Anyway, here's a data point: I was assured by Yau Tim for Dongguan Billion Electronic Technology that they would ship within 7 days of payment, and today they did. 8 x 280ah EVE @ $80 USD ea + $220 USD shipping DDP to PA, US. Ordered 1/8/2021 and shipped today 1/11/2021. I was very happy with the cells and the supplier/shipping I purchased exactly this way last summer, and so far this order is just as good, although the overall cost has increased about $75. I also received the video of the cell voltage measurements and photos of the shipping boxes today. So, for this supplier at least, it wasn't too late a couple days ago.

Last edited:
I do believe the seller did ship it today. However, that doesn't mean CNY can't affect your order anymore. Assuming it goes by boat, you're unsure untill the boat has actually left the harbour. If it's still in a pile of stock in a Chinese harbour with CNY, you will have delays.

To make things even more complicated: There is a shortage of empty 40ft containers, so that can cause some more delays.

Hope you're lucky and your shipment is out of China before the country basicly 'locks down' due to CNY.

Understood. Although shipping time is important, I was mostly concerned about quality, so at least I got cells that were manufactured and packed up before CNY impacted those steps.

So I think I’m too late to order this 12v 400aH battery pack from XUBA. Are you saying if requested today the quality might be impacted? Here is the AliBaba product I was looking at:

Also, is it a bad idea to order these battery packs rather than the cells because you can’t really individually test everything?

Attachments

• 32E7E515-D867-4B5F-9B33-DACE04104FA6.jpeg
    32E7E515-D867-4B5F-9B33-DACE04104FA6.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1612069936231.png
    1612069936231.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 4

thank you for letting us stupid people know how it works in China. to be honest i never thought about it until i read your post. i wish aliexpress would mention this. i just assumed everything was coming on a very slow sailing ship from China.lol.

I saw this post immediately after placing my order with Shenzhen Luyuan but in a chat with Amy made it clear I was more interested with the ordered battery be done well rather than quickly. So there was a two week delay, everything matched, balanced, tested and shipped, arriving in Miami in 40 days. Unfortunately getting them 800 miles to Nicaragua has taken much longer. I heard yesterday they are either on the boat or on a truck in Honduras, 4-1/2 months later.

Back