diy solar

diy solar

Chins - To seal or not to seal.

northjerseymike

Hey Everyone,
Last week I received a new Chins 300ah (smart/12v). I did some basic testing and upon giving it a proper charge cycle; was happy with my new 319.94 AH battery. The build date on this unit (as reported by the Bluetooth BMS) was 5/27/2022. Happy with the product, I ordered a second so I could continue my series build. The second battery came in yesterday. Upon opening it, I discovered that this battery came equipped with an access lid. I have no qualms with this, as if something fails down the road; I can cannibalize the hardware. 1666834198529.pngYou can see the alternate lid on the right battery. If you look below the red terminal, you can see a driver/pry mark which makes me think this was a perhaps a factory rebuild. The side of the case where the black and orange meet, also has a gentle pry mark. I'm not picky, so if the battery and cells perform as expected I have no issue. The tradeoff for the lid is worth it (to me). That said, I could how somebody concerned with appearances could be annoyed by this. The BMS for this unit reported a prod date of 4/16/2022, and indicated a capacity of 318.40ah. Has anybody else been ordering these? What kind of lids are you getting?
I also noticed that the MAC addresses were strangely dissimilar:
1666836398574.png
Network guys generally know that the first 6 of a MAC can be used to identify the manufacturer. When I looked up the address for the second unit, I couldn't find anything which means it's either spoofed or newly assigned and has not yet gotten on lists. I suppose they may also have sold me a prototype.

The device name in the first battery BMS reports as "GJ-12.8V300-AH-0025", the second reports as "GJ12V300AH-0016"

Where did you buy the batteries? I got my 100 amp Chins from Amazon and the first two are just slightly different from the last 4. I ordered them a few weeks apart. The packing and documentation was the difference, not the actual batteries.

Where did you buy the batteries? I got my 100 amp Chins from Amazon and the first two are just slightly different from the last 4. I ordered them a few weeks apart. The packing and documentation was the difference, not the actual batteries.
A picture is worth 50 words...
1666838673463.png

Used 'Buy Again' From Amazon, both came from Chins-us.

interesting. Did you ask ‘Chins’ about the difference? They have been very responsive with my questions.

Back