diy solar

diy solar

Choosing Equipment for Hybrid System

Wow, that’s a very impressive rig for under $17K (at today’s exchange rate of $0.56 per NZD).

I guess it helps you being so close to China ;).
Yeh that helps (although shipping is still pretty expensive)

I think the US pays high prices for panels because of the import duties. My 36 Jinko N type panels cost $9000 (US$5000).

Not sure what similar panels in the US would cost, but I've heard it's quite expensive.

Yeh that helps (although shipping is still pretty expensive)

I think the US pays high prices for panels because of the import duties. My 36 Jinko N type panels cost $9000 (US$5000).

Not sure what similar panels in the US would cost, but I've heard it's quite expensive.
I didn’t see that total kW of OV you installed, but with 12kW of peak solar output from 3 different-facing roof surfaces, I’m guessing you must have at lease 15kW (400W to 450W per panel?).

$5000 for 15kW of panels is only $0.33/kW and we only find panels close to that pricepoint in the used market over here.

I’m eyeing some $450W panels for $280, which is considered a competitive deal at only $0.62/kW…

I didn’t see that total kW of OV you installed, but with 12kW of peak solar output from 3 different-facing roof surfaces, I’m guessing you must have at lease 15kW (400W to 450W per panel?).

$5000 for 15kW of panels is only $0.33/kW and we only find panels close to that pricepoint in the used market over here.

I’m eyeing some $450W panels for $280, which is considered a competitive deal at only $0.62/kW…

410W panels. 14.76kWp. (I'm very happy getting just over 12kW from them in mid Spring).

Yeh, the price in China was US$0.25 back in per W, so by the time they were shipped over and taxes were paid it came to US$0.34 per W.

There has been a reasonable amount of currency shift in the NZ dollar between when I ordered them and now, so the numbers aren't particularly accurate.

410W panels. 14.76kWp. (I'm very happy getting just over 12kW from them in mid Spring).

Yeh, the price in China was US$0.25 back in per W, so by the time they were shipped over and taxes were paid it came to US$0.34 per W.

There has been a reasonable amount of currency shift in the NZ dollar between when I ordered them and now, so the numbers aren't particularly accurate.
Yeah getting over 80% of panel rating with those three differently-facing roof surfaces is pretty good…

Is there any specific reason why you choose to get three inverter? Two 8kW would be enough with some space to expand . How much storage capacity you have (lead acid/gel?).

Is there any specific reason why you choose to get three inverter? Two 8kW would be enough with some space to expand . How much storage capacity you have (lead acid/gel?).
A few reasons:
3 5kW inverters would cost the same as 2 8kW inverters.
With 3 inverters I get 6MPPTs which suited my layout better.
The wall I mounted them on was relatively constrained as far as height goes. So the taller 8kw units would have been more difficult.

The real question is: do you want to use it as an UPS?
If you have selected some equipment, made separate cabling to them, and you calculated its consumption (with inrush) ... then it is fine.
But if you want a house UPS system (excluded electric heating and electric cooktop) then you will have a problem.

Do not forget a real hybrid works as an UPS:
  1. You have 4kW load, power goes out (blackout, brownout), inverter switches to battery mode ... and shuts down with overload (can only give 3kW).
  2. Already blackout, battery mode, and you want to start a well pump. That has a high inrush ... and overload.
Many times even 5kW is not enough.
OK, you win.
I have to admit, I might need to seek professional mental health support, as I noticed some sign of a certain type of addiction...
Well, based on the last several months of use of the system, it become clear, we have lot more potential than I expected. So further panels are already installed on the West side of my roof, and the second lot of Leaf battery is on the way. That makes the Sungrow SK5H-30 inverter slightly undersized. Yes, the 65A limit on the battery discharge is not quite enough. Well that is the point when the compulsion kicks in I guess. It works absolutely fine as it advertised, alongside the grid power.
Luckily, a friend of mine needed to replace his 10+ years old inverter and I had to research for alternatives and thanks for cods4 I looked at the DEYE "family". He ended up with an 8 kW unit, and I quite like the way how it works. I mean the accessibility and the range of options. So my one is on the way too. Exciting time. Again.

OK, you win.
I have to admit, I might need to seek professional mental health support, as I noticed some sign of a certain type of addiction...
Well, based on the last several months of use of the system, it become clear, we have lot more potential than I expected. So further panels are already installed on the West side of my roof, and the second lot of Leaf battery is on the way. That makes the Sungrow SK5H-30 inverter slightly undersized. Yes, the 65A limit on the battery discharge is not quite enough. Well that is the point when the compulsion kicks in I guess. It works absolutely fine as it advertised, alongside the grid power.
Luckily, a friend of mine needed to replace his 10+ years old inverter and I had to research for alternatives and thanks for cods4 I looked at the DEYE "family". He ended up with an 8 kW unit, and I quite like the way how it works. I mean the accessibility and the range of options. So my one is on the way too. Exciting time. Again.

I only make suggestions :)
Yep we all have solar addiction ?

Extension is complete, can't wait for the new inverter. The aircon unit is coming down in two weeks time when I start to install the central heating. Busy time of the year.
20221107_152901.jpg

Deye Sun 8k has arrived, and installed. Luckily I had some head start with settings so didn't take too long to get it running. Surprisingly, the Batrium BMS took control without any problem (so far) via CAN bus. All works as it should... and looks slightly tidier. Still a bit of plastering to sort out the damage I've made, but that is after the second lot of Leaf battery is in place. Hopefully before xmas. Big thumbs up for Deye.20221121_203024.jpg

One of these will do the job

Attachments

• 38F80904-44C2-4DAB-AFCD-2D69309DBC65.jpeg
    38F80904-44C2-4DAB-AFCD-2D69309DBC65.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Deye Sun 8k has arrived, and installed. Luckily I had some head start with settings so didn't take too long to get it running. Surprisingly, the Batrium BMS took control without any problem (so far) via CAN bus. All works as it should... and looks slightly tidier. Still a bit of plastering to sort out the damage I've made, but that is after the second lot of Leaf battery is in place. Hopefully before xmas. Big thumbs up for Deye.View attachment 121303
How did you get the DEYE to communicate with the batrium BMS? I have a similar setup and I would like to have them communicating.

How did you get the DEYE to communicate with the batrium BMS? I have a similar setup and I would like to have them communicating.
Sorry it's been a while. I used CAN bus and picked one of the existing communication methode from the list (took awhile to get the right one). Batrium tech support was kind of helpful, but appeared to be they had some gaps in terms of complete understanding of their own system. I have ditched Batrium because I doubled my battery (2x 24kWh Leaf battery pack+ 2 module) capacity so I needed something more robust system, as the passive balancing never really worked. Apart from that, I had issues with the stability of the system, it stopped every now and then, so it stopped the inverter as well, and required a manual restart.
My current system is a DEYE 8kW single phase inverter+ 2x 200 A HIBMS (DALY)+20x 445W Jinko panels (NE-SW)+approximately 32kWh battery. I recently re-arranged the panel strings to maximize the generation on sunny days as well (it has 20A limitation per MPPT). Yesterday, I passed the 10MWh generation two days before the system turning 1 year old...
Anyway, back to your question, there are better options then Batrium, even though you can make it work, and many people happy with that.

20220817_194347 (1).jpg
This is one of them, but I think BYD also works and a few other. Don't worry about Rx, you never get any in this configuration.

Back