diy solar

diy solar

Cinergi's 28 kWh / 4 kW Solar / 10 kW inverter RV build

Oh of course, 24x24” cassettes make perfect sense! Yes esp. with the slide outs and limited wall space. I’ve spec’d ‘em for supplemental cooling in research settings where some prof brings in a half million dollar whatever it is heat maker and then says the HVAC isn’t working..?

I do recall seeing your pointing out the boxed in area, but how on Earth do they ventilate it? Some serious louvers on other sides I’m guessing? And perhaps oversizing was also to help cope with the enclosed space and unusually high outdoor ambients many experience traveling.

Oh of course, 24x24” cassettes make perfect sense! Yes esp. with the slide outs and limited wall space. I’ve spec’d ‘em for supplemental cooling in research settings where some prof brings in a half million dollar whatever it is heat maker and then says the HVAC isn’t working..?

I do recall seeing your pointing out the boxed in area, but how on Earth do they ventilate it? Some serious louvers on other sides I’m guessing? And perhaps oversizing was also to help cope with the enclosed space and unusually high outdoor ambients many experience traveling.

Air comes in from below the rig and the fan blowing out is on the exterior wall.

On a separate note, my peak day is now 21 kWh combined (19 kWh for just the roof panels) - and it would have been higher but that fully charged my batteries by 2:30/3pm. For the roof panels, that's 5.7 sun-hours at 100% rating in May in Connecticut with flat-mounted panels. I'm ecstatic!

I didn't check your channel, so shun me if you have already answered this, but I would really like to see more of how the mini split intakes/exhausts etc. I love that setup!

Just read through the whole thread and watched most of the vids. Thank you for the high quality descriptions of your method, it has been a great learning experience.

Not sure if I missed it but could you post the price of the solar panels their dimensions and weight.

Us europeans can't quite fathom the scale of the 5th wheels but what are your thoughts on affecting the weight distribution by putting a lot of weight that high up?

what are your thoughts on affecting the weight distribution by putting a lot of weight that high up?
I am just a casual observer but the fifth wheel hitch point is only 15 to 18 inches higher than the typical trailer hitch. The big advantage is that the hitch point is over the rear axle which has several advantages that other users can articulate in detail..

I didn't check your channel, so shun me if you have already answered this, but I would really like to see more of how the mini split intakes/exhausts etc. I love that setup!

How dare you not watch my channel! lol! I'll try to remember to take some pictures today

Just read through the whole thread and watched most of the vids. Thank you for the high quality descriptions of your method, it has been a great learning experience.

Not sure if I missed it but could you post the price of the solar panels their dimensions and weight.

Us europeans can't quite fathom the scale of the 5th wheels but what are your thoughts on affecting the weight distribution by putting a lot of weight that high up?

400 pounds of added weight to the roof of a 23,000-pound unit so ... no big deal.
Edit: counter-acted by 600 pounds of batteries and equipment down low :)

400 pounds of added weight to the roof of a 23,000-pound unit so ... no big deal.
Haha, I figured the same, whats another 500 lbs up high ?‍♂️

But you deleted the 1000 pound Onan down low compared to a standard unit.
Overall, I think you raised the CG about 3", so don't try to drift in the turns.

And how did they get the ceiling register in there? I'm assuming it sticks above the roof right? Did they cover it somehow?

And how did they get the ceiling register in there? I'm assuming it sticks above the roof right? Did they cover it somehow?

yes above the roof and covered (I think they made their own cover).

yes above the roof and covered (I think they made their own cover).
And what BTU rating are they? I was researching, and this is a huge long shot, of getting 3 ceiling cassettes, a 7k in the bedroom, 9k in the garage and 12k in the living room all from a single unit mounted in the generator compartment (replacing the generator).

Its not cheap, but who knows. Maybe someday, or maybe if all 3 of my Coleman ACs crap out at the same time... lol

And what BTU rating are they? I was researching, and this is a huge long shot, of getting 3 ceiling cassettes, a 7k in the bedroom, 9k in the garage and 12k in the living room all from a single unit mounted in the generator compartment (replacing the generator).

Its not cheap, but who knows. Maybe someday, or maybe if all 3 of my Coleman ACs crap out at the same time... lol

9 each. I think my LR needs to be 11. a 30k ODU can support 40-133% IDU combined rating (for the LG's at least).

This is exactly what I'm doing, removing the genset (a 6kW Onan Diesel) and replacing it with an ODU driving 2x 9k BTU wall mounts. My biggest challenge with the cassettes is that I'd have to enlarge the existing A/C holes from 14x14" to 24x24". I'm trying real, real hard not to mess with the roof structure if I can. It's all aluminum trusses and cutting it feels like a bad idea. Oh, I'm working on a super C motorhome, not a 5er, so that could be affecting my perspective too.

Back