diy solar

diy solar

circuit breaker/ fuse sizing for 400 w alternator build

Benihanas

I have built will's 400 w alternator charging almost exactly in my van , the only thing I did differently was use a 2000w inverter.. I have some questions about the circuit breaker that goes from inverter to battery.. with 1/0 AWG wire less than 3 feet is a 200amp breaker enough? should I place a bolt on fuse on my battery bank? if so what size? 200? 250?

bonus question - do my fuse box wires need to also be sized to my inverter since share a breaker? or can I size them to the fuse box

that's the system I built... the only information that they want you to calculate are the few things that ive asked here^..... any help?

It's been an hour. Have patience this is a forum, people will respond in time if they have interest in your post.

Also, you didn't post your battery voltage.

I'll guess 12 volts.
2000 watts / 12 volts * 80% efficiency = 200 amps.
Theoretical max current draw from you inverter.

1/0 wire is plenty enough for 200 amps, I'd leave it as designed unless you plan to pull 2000 watts for extended periods of time or if you inverter is extremely inefficient.

For the fuse box wire, how far is that run?
Is it short and direct with nothing else around, like in the link?
What is the maximum current rating on that fuse box?
I'd probably run a smaller gauge wire and fuse that accommodate the actual amp rating of the fuse box.

It's been an hour. Have patience this is a forum, people will respond in time if they have interest in your post.

Also, you didn't post your battery voltage.

I'll guess 12 volts.
2000 watts / 12 volts * 80% efficiency = 200 amps.
Theoretical max current draw from you inverter.

1/0 wire is plenty enough for 200 amps, I'd leave it as designed unless you plan to pull 2000 watts for extended periods of time or if you inverter is extremely inefficient.

For the fuse box wire, how far is that run?
Is it short and direct with nothing else around, like in the link?
What is the maximum current rating on that fuse box?
I'd probably run a smaller gauge wire and fuse that accommodate the actual amp rating of the fuse box.
I had actually replied to a few posts that have mysteriously disappeared lol... thanks sir ! yes the fuse box wire (and all other wires) are very short all less than 4 feet. I currently have 4 gauge wire running to the fuse box and down to the 200 amp breaker... do I need a smaller breaker hooked to the fuse box? it is max 100 amp draw but has 4 awg running to a 200amp breaker

Breakers and fuses are to protect wiring.
The fuse box is basically some wires in fancy insulation.

If it were me, I'd get the max current rating of the fuse box, then add a similar rated fuse at the source of the 4awg you have powering the fuse box.

Last edited:
Back