diy solar

Clamp Meter < $100?

I have the BM819

BM819 true value digital clamp meter
1. automatic range measurement

DCV:400m/4/40/400/600V,
ACV:4/40/400/600V
ACA:4/40/400/600A,
Resistance: 400 /4k/40k/400k/4M/40M Omega.
Capacitance: 10n/100n/1u/10u/100u/1000u/1mF
Frequency: 100/1k/10k/100k/1M/10M/40MHz
2. true value of AC value measurement
2. can accurately measure the AC current of AC20mA to 600A
3. the capacitance value below 10mF can be accurately measured and the measuring speed is fast.
4. has the functions of temperature, frequency and duty cycle measurement.
5. use NCV induction head to judge phase line to accurately measure current.
6. has the function of diode and short circuit beep alarm
The 7. diode can measure the LED operating voltage below 3V.
The 8. backlight is easy to read in weak light environment.
9. has a readable retention function.
10. there is a manual range function
11. automatic shutdown function can be set up or not.

I have the BM819

BM819 true value digital clamp meter
1. automatic range measurement
DCV:400m/4/40/400/600V,
ACV:4/40/400/600V
ACA:4/40/400/600A,
Resistance: 400 /4k/40k/400k/4M/40M Omega.
Capacitance: 10n/100n/1u/10u/100u/1000u/1mF
Frequency: 100/1k/10k/100k/1M/10M/40MHz
2. true value of AC value measurement
2. can accurately measure the AC current of AC20mA to 600A
3. the capacitance value below 10mF can be accurately measured and the measuring speed is fast.
4. has the functions of temperature, frequency and duty cycle measurement.
5. use NCV induction head to judge phase line to accurately measure current.
6. has the function of diode and short circuit beep alarm
The 7. diode can measure the LED operating voltage below 3V.
The 8. backlight is easy to read in weak light environment.
9. has a readable retention function.
10. there is a manual range function
11. automatic shutdown function can be set up or not.

That can't read DC amps with the clamp. That's the problem with 99% of the cheapies.

Hi there. Loved Wills videos love the forum love this question. So in 2016 I needed a DC amp clamp meter under $200. This is the only one I found on Amazon, seriously this was it and it took hours to find it: https://www.amazon.com/Auto-ranging...?keywords=elenco+meter&qid=1572745518&sr=8-22

I'm still using this meter today. The plastic label around the display peeled off, my reviews are on the site, I love this meter but it's too big so now there are DC clamps that are much smaller at $25ish looking at those but this one is up to 1000a AC or DC so keeping it.

I got this ac/dc clamp meter from Amazon about 2 years ago, don’t have a link but Readings are pretty accurate when compared to my neighbors high dollar fluke meter. It reads ac/dc current. Some only read ac current so read the descriptions carefully. Been pretty dependable working on automotive and solar jobs. Same batteries for 2 years. These were around $45 Search ac/dc meters on Amazon
View attachment 363
Worked for me. Agrees with my Fluke almost perfectly.

I got this one because of the Bluetooth but I have a few reservations:

I bought this one as well. It’s solidly built, accurate, and tests everything I need. I have an older Wavetek clone of the Fluke that’s a good meter, but needed a good AC/DC amp meter, so this is a good all-in-one. The price was just a hair over the $100 limit of this post, but certainly worth the little but extra to me. Of course I added the mag mount and inline 120V amp plug to bust the budget totally.

I also like the Klein ones. I have the CL380 which is a bit cheaper than the CL800 (at $85 bucks), but the only difference is it doesn’t have the CAT III or CAT IV safety rating, but I am not a commercial electrician, as I only use this for myself so it's fine for me without that.

----------------
REFERENCE:

Klein CL380

Pros​

• TRMS measurements.
  • Automatic ranging for quick, easy analysis.
  • Can measure DC microamps.
  • Non-contact voltage tester for additional safety.
  • Type K thermocouple for temperature measurements.

Cons​

• Not rated for CAT III/CAT IV measurements.
  • LCD is hard to read in direct sunlight.

Top Features​

This second device from Klein tools is a budget option; more affordable but lacking a few of the safety features of the CL800.

The CL380 doesn’t have a CAT III or CAT IV safety rating, which means that you should only use this particular multimeter inside the house and around your car.

We aren’t kicking it out of bed just yet, though. It’s still a solid clamp meter with automatic ranging. You can measure currents up to 400 amps with this multimeter, AC or DC. In addition, the TRMS measurements give you the additional accuracy that you want, better than the root mean squared alternative measurements.

Of note is that if you need to measure small electronic circuits, the probes can measure DC currents as little as microamps.

By now, you know that a clamp meter is for safe, non-contact measurements of current. The CL380 clamp meter has an additional feature: non-contact detection of voltage. The same clamp can be used — without exposing wires or making contact — to discover if a wire is “hot,” i.e. if it has a potentially dangerous voltage potential. This is a valuable, perhaps even life-saving, feature.

Some outdoor users reported that the reverse contrast LCD is hard to read in direct sunlight, so watch out for that and use those sunnies if needed!

All in all, this is one of the best multimeters for electricians working indoors or in a garage. Despite being a step down from the CL800 in terms of quality and safety, the Klein CL380 is a great economical option for electricians working on their own home and mechanics who like to work on their cars.

Specifications​

• Analysis Method: True Root Mean Squared (TRMS).
  • Current Measurement: Clamp (AC/DC, automatic ranging).
  • Non-contact voltage detection: Yes.
  • Low Z Voltage Setting: No.
  • Test Leads: AC/DC voltage (automatic ranging), DC microamp current, resistance, continuity, frequency, duty cycle, capacitance and diodes.
  • Temperature Thermocouple: Yes.
  • Safety: No CAT IV/CAT III specifications.

Last edited:
I bought this one per ghostwriter and it seems good -

KAIWEETS Digital Clamp Meter T-RMS 6000 Counts, Multimeter Voltage Tester Auto-ranging, Measures Current Voltage Temperature Capacitance Resistance Diodes Continuity Duty-Cycle (AC/DC CURRENT)

I've been using it a lot.
I just bought this same meter (branded as AUTENS, but actual branding on the meter is HABOTEST) on Amazon's Australian storefront: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07WJ99RP1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More robust than my rinky-dink Jaycar meter. (Jaycar, an Australia electronics shop, is kinda like Radioshack in the USA - mostly rebranded, cheap, sometimes passable quality electronics, with standard electronics bits and bobs, fuses, etc.)

I don't have anything of actual quality to test against but it seems fine. Came with a set of probes and temperature sensor. Runs on 2xAAA batteries. I'm happy with it so far.

I just bought this same meter (branded as AUTENS, but actual branding on the meter is HABOTEST) on Amazon's Australian storefront: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07WJ99RP1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More robust than my rinky-dink Jaycar meter. (Jaycar, an Australia electronics shop, is kinda like Radioshack in the USA - mostly rebranded, cheap, sometimes passable quality electronics, with standard electronics bits and bobs, fuses, etc.)

I don't have anything of actual quality to test against but it seems fine. Came with a set of probes and temperature sensor. Runs on 2xAAA batteries. I'm happy with it so far.
I'm happy with mine. I use the volt meter too.
I have returned a lot of cheap crap to Amazon but this one I kept.

$31 . Very good
A good meter, I have one, but 100A upper end current may be too low for many systems.

If you are looking for cheap unit with low current <1 amp accurate capability this is good choice. You won't get accurate low current reading with a unit that has 40A for lowest scale select.

On many low cost clamp on meters with AC peak current capability the peak surge reading is much lower than actual peak current your inverter is going to have to deal with. Their sampling averaging period is too long for the typical 300-500 millisec single phase induction motor startup time period.

Last edited:
I also like the Klein ones. I have the CL380 which is a bit cheaper than the CL800 (at $85 bucks), but the only difference is it doesn’t have the CAT III or CAT IV safety rating, but I am not a commercial electrician, as I only use this for myself so it's fine for me without that.

----------------
REFERENCE:

Klein CL380

Pros​

• TRMS measurements.
  • Automatic ranging for quick, easy analysis.
  • Can measure DC microamps.
  • Non-contact voltage tester for additional safety.
  • Type K thermocouple for temperature measurements.

Cons​

• Not rated for CAT III/CAT IV measurements.
  • LCD is hard to read in direct sunlight.

Top Features​

This second device from Klein tools is a budget option; more affordable but lacking a few of the safety features of the CL800.

The CL380 doesn’t have a CAT III or CAT IV safety rating, which means that you should only use this particular multimeter inside the house and around your car.

We aren’t kicking it out of bed just yet, though. It’s still a solid clamp meter with automatic ranging. You can measure currents up to 400 amps with this multimeter, AC or DC. In addition, the TRMS measurements give you the additional accuracy that you want, better than the root mean squared alternative measurements.

Of note is that if you need to measure small electronic circuits, the probes can measure DC currents as little as microamps.

By now, you know that a clamp meter is for safe, non-contact measurements of current. The CL380 clamp meter has an additional feature: non-contact detection of voltage. The same clamp can be used — without exposing wires or making contact — to discover if a wire is “hot,” i.e. if it has a potentially dangerous voltage potential. This is a valuable, perhaps even life-saving, feature.

Some outdoor users reported that the reverse contrast LCD is hard to read in direct sunlight, so watch out for that and use those sunnies if needed!

All in all, this is one of the best multimeters for electricians working indoors or in a garage. Despite being a step down from the CL800 in terms of quality and safety, the Klein CL380 is a great economical option for electricians working on their own home and mechanics who like to work on their cars.

Specifications​

• Analysis Method: True Root Mean Squared (TRMS).
  • Current Measurement: Clamp (AC/DC, automatic ranging).
  • Non-contact voltage detection: Yes.
  • Low Z Voltage Setting: No.
  • Test Leads: AC/DC voltage (automatic ranging), DC microamp current, resistance, continuity, frequency, duty cycle, capacitance and diodes.
  • Temperature Thermocouple: Yes.
  • Safety: No CAT IV/CAT III specifications.
Actually the Klein CL380 and CL390 both have "CAT III 600V, Class 2, Double insulation safety rating" according to Klein's website.

CL380: https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/...-tester-acdc-clamp-meter-auto-ranging-400-amp

CL390: https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/clamp-meters/acdc-digital-clamp-meter-auto-ranging-400-amp

I bought the CL390 and it seems ok. Measurements are very close to my fluke which was calibrated 6 years ago. The only thing I don't love is when you use the rotary knob to choose voltage, it defaults to AC. You then push the SEL button to choose DC. It's a very minor annoyance.

I was also looking in this range, but figuring how many years I’ve owned every meter I ever had, as noted above I decided saving an extra $30 and buying a Klein CL800 was worth the wait. It’s been a really solid and accurate meter.

Just updating... no regrets on buying the better option. It’s been really useful to have all the functionality.

Last edited:
I was also looking in this range, but figuring how many years I’ve owned every meter I ever had, as noted above I decided saving an extra $30 and buying a Klein CL800 was worth the wait. It’s been a really solid and accurate meter.

Just updating... no regrets on buying the better option. It’s been really useful to have all the functionality.
Good choice on the 800. I got a crazy good deal on the CL390 from a an eBay seller. Sometimes when you're the only bid it can go well. Just needed it for the DC clamp. My Fluke clamp is is AC only.

Last edited:
I use the Sterling bought on sale for $109. But as every one wants to brag about the cheapo they found, I was in one of the last Radio Shacks. I found one that was free to me after I bought a few electrical parts. Alligator clamps, bulbs, connectors of various sizes, that were the reason I stopped in the first place. The meter is as consistent as the Sterling.

I just bought a 15$ clamp meter from walmart and its actually accurate! Simple device, and the accuracy I need is .1A, so it works great :D
Hi Will
Do you have a link to its name, type, etc?

Back