diy solar

diy solar

Class t fuse without holder

THAT is a great concept!!! Thank you so much. I had no idea they made ones where you could adjust because that would make perfect sense!!! I wish I was as smart and savvy as most of you are!

My problem is you’d need two of those per fuse, so $40 for used holders with no protective cover.

A new one with cover is $45.50 on Amazon.

My problem is you’d need two of those per fuse, so $40 for used holders with no protective cover.

I get that. I just paid $177 for that stupid fuse but I think I bought the last one in the country (400A), so past the "things cost too much money" stage, lol. When I get the fuse in, I will order that and see if it fits, if not, I will ship it back because it definitely needs a cover.

You're not kidding.. and Mouser is giving this for when they are expecting to have stock again! o_O
View attachment 108216
I searched for days and another forum member found it (last one) and I bought it. Could have been $1000 and I guess I would have had to cough it up because my system is worth 10's of thousands of dollars and I am not scrimping on a fuse. Now, I need to find a fuse block holder with cover (or I can have someone 3D print me one at this point)

Makes me think I should get a spare fuse for mine before the lower amp ones disappear.

Makes me think I should get a spare fuse for mine before the lower amp ones disappear.
Never a bad idea to have spares for most things in life, lol, but especially when you start to notice how hard it is getting to get these. I called a local company this morning to see if they had any on a shelf and they were all cheerful telling me they would call their supplier and how many did I need? I laughed and said, "If you can find one, that would be great, if you can find 2, that would be even better but you won't be able to find it. Oh, by the way, see if you can find a fuse block with a cover for it while you have your supplier on the phone."

Best strategy as far as I can tell, in these times of shortage, it to buy the holder and fuse together, and several spares to fit the holder. All at once. T fuses of a particular size are a pain to find these days.

Best strategy as far as I can tell, in these times of shortage, it to buy the holder and fuse together, and several spares to fit the holder. All at once. T fuses of a particular size are a pain to find these days.
In the pre-COVID world, that would have been easy, but I am not going to pass up a 400A T class fuse because it does not come with a fuse block holder in a Post-COVID world. It was not sold with a holder but it was the last one I could find. Do a search for 400A T Class fuses and you will see what we are talking about. If you find any, buy them all and then resell. You would make a mint.

Found my 250A at Shunts.com where i got the first ones. More than I paid the first time but not terrible, much less than the $100+ that other places wanted (IF they had it!). Includes a bare wire holder, which I realize now is the same holder I bought the first time which sucks because I should have gotten the lug holder. Dummy.... :rolleyes:

Found my 250A at Shunts.com
Yeah.. I see they still have 250A and 300A ones available :sneaky:

Oh.. and the 175A and 200A.. but again the Midnite 175A and 250A would work as well and you have cutoff switch (breaker) to boot.

On my search, I did see one 400A T-class fuse that said "Mexico" on it. That may be an avenue to pursue if needed.

Found my 250A at Shunts.com where i got the first ones. More than I paid the first time but not terrible, much less than the $100+ that other places wanted (IF they had it!). Includes a bare wire holder, which I realize now is the same holder I bought the first time which sucks because I should have gotten the lug holder. Dummy.... :rolleyes:

They have good prices.

How about a DC MCCB (molded case circuit breaker) as alternative? I'm using the Suntree / Renogy 160A DC MCCB for my 12v system, breaking capacity is up to 20kA.

But the really big ones are quite expensive, I think. This one's up to 100kA:

Those are good breakers but Noark is pretty hard to get in USA. Closest I found was an 150A version of an MCCB at automationdirect.com for about $260 and is 3 pole version.

Those are good breakers but Noark is pretty hard to get in USA. Closest I found was an 150A version of an MCCB at automationdirect.com for about $260 and is 3 pole version.

Schneider also makes DC MCCBs but I'm also not sure if they're available there.

And here it is, in stock.

If you can find it, I suggest the one with clips to hold cover instead. I have the above one, difficult to remove.

I'm not sure those are UL listed. I used them for battery.
I bought the UL listed Bussman for use on AC side, wanted to add a fuse as additional protection coordinated with main breaker.
Interesting they are heat sinked; does Bussman know something? You're probably fine in free air, maybe makes a difference in a box (which also takes care of the need for a cover.)

Back