diy solar

diy solar

Classic Norwegian going electric - Polar 22

Some additional teasers... I should be able to create most of the interior in 3D this week so that its a bit easier to produce all the parts. The goal is to hide all the electronics below deck, while keeping the storage underneath the seats for everything else. The captains seat is not drawn in, but it`s going to be on the right side, fridge in front of that and so on.

is to Skjermbilde 2021-04-05 220158.pngSkjermbilde 2021-04-05 220011.pngSkjermbilde 2021-04-05 215729.png

Last spam for today. Im considering this as a solution for the captains seat, while still maintaining a large seating area.

Skjermbilde 2021-04-05 232341.pngSkjermbilde 2021-04-05 232425.pngSkjermbilde 2021-04-05 232610.pngSkjermbilde 2021-04-05 232508.pngSkjermbilde 2021-04-05 233237.png

Great design. It will be a beautiful open vessel. One question: With the (inevitable) sloshing of salt water across your high voltage electrical innards, how do you plan to deal with the battery/wiring/connection waterproofing? And the fresh water rinse of same?

By the way, these are interesting cells for your kind of application.

Great design. It will be a beautiful open vessel. One question: With the (inevitable) sloshing of salt water across your high voltage electrical innards, how do you plan to deal with the battery/wiring/connection waterproofing? And the fresh water rinse of same?

Well, as you say, there's bound to be some moisture and salt water spilling below deck where the electronics are. The battery housing will be waterproof (ish, see previous page and drawings), and I have to make waterproof containers for the additional electronics here and there.

Got any good suggestions in regards to waterproofing etc?

By the way, these are interesting cells for your kind of application.

Yeah, I saw those, although 700ah is a bit too much. Ideally, I would get a set of similar cells for the boat, however the price is just too high compared to the regular blues. Making waterproof boxes for the batteries is a lot cheaper as well.

Current status, been working in 3D to get a better understanding of the overall size, openings, and benches. Plan is to get the 3D-model finalized and send all the plywood to a CNC mill. This should make the process of assembly a lot more efficient.

I've also been sanding mahogany details and polishing brass stuff. It will be shiny.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde.PNG
    Skjermbilde.PNG
    301 KB · Views: 8
  • Skjermbilde2.PNG
    Skjermbilde2.PNG
    370.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Skjermbilde3.PNG
    Skjermbilde3.PNG
    300.5 KB · Views: 8
Back to the drawing board and another wiring diagram... Would love to get feedback on the main component setup. Wire gauge, fuses, busbars, charge/precharge are still questionmarks in my mind, so would greatly appreciate it if anyone could come with improvements to the overall setup.

1. What is the best way to estimate/calculate the wire gauge necessary?
2. Bilge pump is 12V. If I don't have a separate battery for 12V, how can you buypass the wiring for the bilge pump to run continuously through BMS/DC-converter? Possible?
3. Fuse setup?
4. Charge / Precharge....?
KxT1iCx.jpg

1. What is the best way to estimate/calculate the wire gauge necessary?
2. Bilge pump is 12V. If I don't have a separate battery for 12V, how can you buypass the wiring for the bilge pump to run continuously through BMS/DC-converter? Possible?
3. Fuse setup?
4. Charge / Precharge....?
Hi, I'm putting my fuse and battery switch right next to the battery, before the BMS. That way the fuse protects all the wiring and the BMS, and the switch gives me a way to switch off the BMS. That's rare, but I think my BMS model needs that for clearing certain error conditions. Class T fuses are generally regarded as appropriate for LiFePO4 systems. Smaller cheaper ones cannot handle the current LiFePO4 can generate in the event of a short.

Does you wiring supplier have a wire size chart? There's some complication around their chart for lower voltage and our higher voltage, but the gist is to buy the largest cables you can afford, fit, and work with. There's no sense spending all this money on electric equipment and skimping on the feed for it. My system maxes out around 125 A, and usually operates at 40 A or below. I use 2 AWG around my batteries. Many people use larger cable. When consulting a chart, note that they usually refer to the roundtrip distance of the wire, not one-way distance between devices.

It's at least worth considering a 230V fridge. It would be much cheaper, and may actually be more efficient since inverter efficiency has improved. Historically, boats would use 12V refrigeration, but in this case the 12V gets an efficiency loss when it goes through the 48V/12V converter or charger controller, so you can compare the efficiency of the inverter and 230V fridge with the converter or charger controller and the 12V fridge.

Precharge is its own topic and there is a lot of discussion about it on here. The issue is that big capacitors in the inverter will draw immense current when first connected to a big low resistance source like LiFePO4 batteries. That current is higher than our design conditions for part of a second and enough to burn up a BMS that uses internal FET relays, or enough to weld closed an external relay. Precharge introduces a resister into the circuit to slow down the rate those capacitors charge. It's the same amount of energy over 1-2 seconds instead of a fraction of a second, and that slowdown means the amps flowing are lower and safe. Will has a video when he does it with a handheld resister and it clarifies what's happening, but that's of course not how to accomplish it in an installed system that may be shut down for long enough for the capacitors to drain. Some people wire resisters and bulbs into switches in prominent places so they don't forget. I like the idea to build it into a batter selector switch since boats already have those and the boats we are talking about no longer have the need for the 1/2/all selector, so it can become a precharging switch by routing power through a resister for 1, and routing it straight to load for 2. You don't use "all" or "both."

Hi, I'm putting my fuse and battery switch right next to the battery, before the BMS. That way the fuse protects all the wiring and the BMS, and the switch gives me a way to switch off the BMS. That's rare, but I think my BMS model needs that for clearing certain error conditions. Class T fuses are generally regarded as appropriate for LiFePO4 systems. Smaller cheaper ones cannot handle the current LiFePO4 can generate in the event of a short.

Good point. As there's a large number of different fuses out there, from thermal fuses to fuse switches, what is recommended to use in the different areas?

Does you wiring supplier have a wire size chart? There's some complication around their chart for lower voltage and our higher voltage, but the gist is to buy the largest cables you can afford, fit, and work with. There's no sense spending all this money on electric equipment and skimping on the feed for it. My system maxes out around 125 A, and usually operates at 40 A or below. I use 2 AWG around my batteries. Many people use larger cable. When consulting a chart, note that they usually refer to the roundtrip distance of the wire, not one-way distance between devices.

"Wiring supplier" is currently not decided yet. All I know is that all wiring should be BC-5W2 certified, and I have some estimated size on the wiring for the engine. The distance between batteries, BMS, engine etc are not quite defined as I need to test out size and fit of the electrical equipment.

And I'm definitely not skimping on the wire size. I have to run some calculations to define the amperage on the system.

It's at least worth considering a 230V fridge. It would be much cheaper, and may actually be more efficient since inverter efficiency has improved. Historically, boats would use 12V refrigeration, but in this case the 12V gets an efficiency loss when it goes through the 48V/12V converter or charger controller, so you can compare the efficiency of the inverter and 230V fridge with the converter or charger controller and the 12V fridge.

Never thought of that. I'm probably going to get a small fridge on the used market. Sizewise, there's a lot more 12v fridges in the small category. With the current wiring, I wanted to isolate the 12v current as much as possible from the 48v system to keep this system mainly for the engine.

Precharge is its own topic and there is a lot of discussion about it on here. The issue is that big capacitors in the inverter will draw immense current when first connected to a big low resistance source like LiFePO4 batteries. That current is higher than our design conditions for part of a second and enough to burn up a BMS that uses internal FET relays, or enough to weld closed an external relay. Precharge introduces a resister into the circuit to slow down the rate those capacitors charge. It's the same amount of energy over 1-2 seconds instead of a fraction of a second, and that slowdown means the amps flowing are lower and safe. Will has a video when he does it with a handheld resister and it clarifies what's happening, but that's of course not how to accomplish it in an installed system that may be shut down for long enough for the capacitors to drain. Some people wire resisters and bulbs into switches in prominent places so they don't forget. I like the idea to build it into a batter selector switch since boats already have those and the boats we are talking about no longer have the need for the 1/2/all selector, so it can become a precharging switch by routing power through a resister for 1, and routing it straight to load for 2. You don't use "all" or "both."
I have to do a bit of reading before I can say I understand everything here. ?

Some further investigations. The Victron Multiplus that I've been planning on using has a couple of functionalities that might simplify things. However, I'm not quite sure If I understand the specifications:

Skjermbilde 2021-04-18 kl. 12.24.49.png

As described, it can charge the following:

48v house battery bank
Starter battery (12v and 24v models only)

Does it mean that only the 12 and 24v models of Multiplus offer the start battery charger option? Or does it only apply to 12v and 24v batteries?

Never mind, found the answer after a deep dive into the victron forums. 48v model does not offer a trickle down charger of 12v. Dammit.

Last edited:
On a more cheerful note. These vintage babies will soon be lit up with LEDs. Going to fit well with the rest of the chrome details.

IMG_7063.jpg

Fimea has also been great finding solutions for my requirements. As this is a classic boat, I want to keep certain details (such as the lanterns), classic. The control box comes from Ultraflex and will be combined with a matching steering wheel. I'll be sure to create a matching mahogany ball for the control box as well. :)

1618763405022.png1618763415092.png

Reactions: mcw
This babe of a boat was picked up on thursday from the paint shop! A classic color combo, RAL9010 "pure white" up top, RAL5011 "steel blue" bottom. I also installed a brand new fenderlist (is that what it's called in english?). A lot of headache to figure out how to fit this, but work out all right after an hour in a sauna.

IMG_2814.jpg2021-04-25-Polar vindskjerm-005.jpg2021-04-25-Polar vindskjerm-004.jpg

Boat looks like new!
Have u received the N50 yet?
After mailing with Nimea i think i will go for the N50 as well.
Good support and fast response.
They offer the N50 with integrated thrust bearing as well.
And the Curtis doesn require manual precharge.
Where in N are you located?

Boat looks like new!
Have u received the N50 yet?
After mailing with Nimea i think i will go for the N50 as well.
Good support and fast response.
They offer the N50 with integrated thrust bearing as well.
And the Curtis doesn require manual precharge.
Where in N are you located?

Thanks! Holy shit there's a lot of details and work to be done, but it's so much more motivating to put stuff together again. I have not received the engine yet, as there's been a lot of details that had to be clarified and that I had to understand. Mostly the latter.

But yeah, Fimea and Andrea have been great on support and response. The integrated thrust bearing definitely makes things easier! ETA on the engine is about 4 weeks so hopefully, the boat should be almost ready for the water by then (Not likely ? )

I'm located in Oslo, but the boat is stored in Fredrikstad for now

Last edited:
She looks great - love the port/starboard lights - same hardware I had on the 1924 Blanchard. Wonderful restoration. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Back