diy solar

diy solar

Cold weather off grid setup looking for some advice

NorthTown2022

Hello, everyone. Three weeks ago I knew nothing about solar. I've been racking my brain trying to become educated as best as possible. Just when I think I've got it all figured out I realize my setup will not work as I need it to or that there is a better way. I would like to install a DIY system this spring if possible. I understand there is a bit of lead time on some equipment so I feel a little pressured to figure is out quickly and could use a little advice from whoever is willing to help.

I am in Northern Ontario and it gets cold here, -34C (-29F). Other than the occasional visit during more desirable winter conditions our camp is unoccupied for the better part of the winter. I would like our solar system to be operational as many months of the year as possible and as maintenance free as possible. I would like to start with around eight 430w bifacial panels, one but likely two internally heated 5kWh batteries (to start) in an 8'x8' insulated but non heated shed beside my array. The shed will likely house the inverter as well if I go this route.

My plan for the ground mount panels are (two sets of) two 6x6 posts spaces about 7 1/2' apart with 2x8's on either side at top of each post on a 45 degree slope. Four rows of Unistrut will tie the two posts together on top of the 2x8's to accommodate four panels. The solar array will be high enough so when the snow drifts around the base or slides off the panels that they should not become obstructed. Each array should each get full sun with no shady obstructions.

Here are a some things I am considering or would like to keep in mind while building a suitable system:

Completely off grid setup
Approx. eight ground mounted Canadian Solar Bi-facial CS3W 445w Panels to start.
Eventually have the ability to leave system operational during winter months while unattended for up to 3 consecutive months + WiFi Cameras
LiFePO4 Battery(s) with heaters to turn on when the panels are free of snow or able charge the batteries.
Battery should stop providing power if it hits a critical level (parameters set by me).
Remote WiFi monitoring of system stats.
Option to have generator auto start to charge batteries.
Must be able to operate in -34C (-29F) 6000 watt (or slightly larger) 120v or split phase inverter capable of being over-paneled OR Microinverters

My biggest challenge right now is what direction to take, inverter or microinverters. Whichever will need to operate in cold temperatures. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!

I’d tend towards charge controller and separate inverter. Broad selection at DC volts

orient the panels vertically for winter. Snow won’t ever be a problem.
yes keep vertical and step them back on there side . like a set of stairs. out front 15 to 20ft from a shiny wall.best cloudy and snow reflection for max winter output for bifacials

Microinverters will most likely be mounted on each PV panel. Conventional inverter mounted in your insulated shed. In the winter the waste heat from the inverter will help keep the shed warm. Do a heat loss calc on the shed to determine how many BTU/hr is need to keep the shed warm enough for the batteries to he happy. Will the generator in inside or outside the shed? Exhaust and fresh air piped outside the shed?

Back