diy solar

diy solar

Colorado Off-grid cabin system

Nobadays

So new to the forum, moderator suggested I post picks of our system. Here is what it is, pictures following: 1500 watts roof top solar, Schneider 4048 inverter/charger, Schneider 60/150 SCC, 4 x 2kw 48v Chevy Volt modules powering off-grid cabin in the Rockies. Our desire was for a robust system that would function for many years without "fiddling around" with it. Hence Schneider Conext equipment and lithium modules connected with a Bobolink Red Wing BMS. The 4 lithium modules are connected via a Square D Q panel with a breaker for each module so they can be taken offline one at a time if needed.... the panel also serves as a positive busbar to combine the modules. All negatives are tied into a common busbar. A Conext System Control Panel is mounted in the living area and through that we have the able to make the adjustments needed for our custom system. Rapid Shutdown to comply with NEC codes. BTW.... DIY'ers spend the money to buy the pre-owned system ready to hang on the wall! It took me 4 days to design and build the connecting conduit and after all was said and done, I really didn't save much money! If you will be inspected, you need to do it right... even if you are not you don't want to have a mess of wires with the potential to burn your place down!

I actually don't have a picture of the 58318466524__84C873E6-B31D-497B-98DF-A549B67652F3.JPG58318470488__E0AF5365-D82C-4669-AE60-018A462C21C3.JPGIMG_4602.JPGChevy volt modules in their box. It is a 12" x 42" plywood box, no lid, they sit on styrofoam insulation and the box sits 2 more inches of insulation to "help" keep them isolated from the cold floor. Two of the modules have temperature probes taped and insulated on their sides so we can tell what the temperature is of the modules before we commence charging during the winter months. We are headed up to the cabin Tuesday and expect the modules to be too cold to charge for a couple of days. We will be tucking seedbed warmers around them and of course warming the cabin via wood and propane heaters.

Last edited:
Electric. I got 2 10" x 20" mats I will place against the modules in the battery box. They will draw 35 watts for the pair. I'll use a controller to maintain about 65 degrees until the modules and the cabin are warm. I'll also have a small propane heater in the space - about 2.5' x 4' and sloped ceiling under the staircase- to help facilitate warming the modules. First time to try this so will report back results!

I really don't think they will be too cold (day times have been around 40F, nights in the teens, cabin warms in the afternoon sun so I'm expecting the cabin to be in the mid 20's to lower 30'sF) or take too long to bring to above freezing temps. I left the modules at 46.5v so for us that will normally give us 2-3 days and more if we conserve power.... like not forget to turn the satellite internet off when not in use. We will use our propane fridge until we can resume charging then switch to the electric one. We'll keep electric use to a minimum.

Clean! Im glad I didn't have to work on that roof ? Whats the police light for?

Thanks! The police light is lightening protection. One inside one outside... a bit of overkill maybe!

Thanks! The police light is lightening protection. One inside one outside... a bit of overkill maybe!
How is that wired? I can see it goes into DC Disconnect, which I presume is your DC distribution box with breakers.

I just followed the wiring diagram as supplied by my solar engineer.... how the lightening arrestor works I'm not sure! Here is the system schematic. They are labeled MNSPD - one is 300vdc the other 115vdc. BTW there is an error in the diagram for the RSD.... I caught it as I was wiring it. Sharp eyes will see it too!

Attachments

• WelchSolarDiagram.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Well, the cabin was 34*F when we arrived about 5PM yesterday. We kicked on the inverter and apparently I had left the Volt modules at 46.7vdc. We ran lights and satellite internet yesterday evening for about 4 hours. This morning the modules were at 46.2vdc. Yesterday the temp meters, with probes I have taped to the sides of two of the modules, and covered with 1" of foam insulation read 31*F. I did not put the seed bed warmers around them, but put a small propane space heater in the space and of course started warming up the cabin. The module temp had risen to 34* before bed, but they still felt pretty cold.... as 34* would I guess. This morning before I got the woodstove fired back up, the cabin was at 43* and the modules were also at 43*. Commonly the modules seemed to stay within a degree or two of the ambient air temp. They are also warmer to the touch, it is apparent. I'll keep warming the cabin (up to 53* right now after about a hour of fire in the stove) and monitoring the modules. I think it will be safe to kick on the SCC later this morning. Pleased it has taken less than 24hr to warm the modules! The seed bed warmers will be snuggled up against the maybe later today.... however realised I need dual outlets from my temp controller and it only has one, so will have to wait until we go to town to get that before plugging them in.

Brrrrr! I think you need a smaller cabin or a bigger stove :)

Your batteries are 48 volts each?

Exactly the device.... cabin is 875 sqft including the loft.. very high open ceiling, and yep the stove - Vermont Castings Aspen - is rated at 1000 sqft so just barely enough. Now after 4 hrs of burning the cabin is at 67*. Warming up a log home always takes some time to get the mass heated up. Once warm it stays pretty warm. Unfortunately there is not yet insulation under the floors, post and beam skirted but we lose a lot of heat to the floors. Next summer hopefully scrape the funds together to get the underside foamed.

I was just giving you hell. That is a nice stove. You might look into foaming it yourself. I think you most definitely have the skills. You can rent everything at the home depot now.

Didn't know you could rent foaming equipment at HD... nice to know! I've seen the A/B canisters you can buy but just not sure I can keep a flow going and not plug spray heads everytime I turn around. It's a bit tight, less than two feet of crawlspace on the north side. I'm a one armed guy so crawling around under there is difficult without dragging two tanks of foam stuff around. If the HD rental is such that ghe tanks are outside and I'm just dragging the hose, I could do that.

Yes the Chevy Volt modules are each 48vdc. I have 4, 8kw of storage.

Oh I see... I'm going with closed cell foam, sprayed on. That you can DIY too but not sure I want yo tackle it. There is a local company that sprayed a neighbor's crawlspace with 4" of foam for $2.50 a sqft. Since we are 22'x26' - 572 sqft that comes to less than $1,500 which I'm good with since Blythe DIY foam kits would be almost that much... rigid foam would be even more. Oh... foam as the critters around here live to tear any other insulation out for nest making.

Since it is a solar forum.... charging great today, here it is 1 PM and we are floating. Electric fridge and freezer have been on since morning!

Yep! We live at the cabin for 5-6 months out of the year. We wanted a system that will run a house basically... electric fridge, freezer, microwave and a Panda washing machine. We're living large here! Even if we are broke!

Back