diy solar

diy solar

Combine EG4-Ll with EG4 Lifepower?

McRod

Solar Enthusiast
What operational issues might occur if a person were to expand their battery bank by adding another similar lifepo4 and similar amp hours? Ex: EG4-LL 200A with EG4 Lifepower 200A?

A: NONE

How about with different brands, like an SOK with an EG4 Lifepower? Both 200A

A: Potentially None - some types of BMS products may introduce additional resistance via their power FET's vs. other types of BMS that use a mechanical golf cart style contactor.

How about with different amp hours? Like a 200AH battery with a 170 AH battery - both lifepo4.

A: If wired in parallel NONE. If wired in series parallel potential for battery imbalancing. Could be resolved by using a battery balancer, like the Victron battery balancer.

Last edited:
So glad you posted this issue. I was thinking the same thing just 4 days ago.

I have ( 2 ) EG4-LL 100aH 48V on order.

Then I have 16 EVE 304aH already with the JBD 7S-20S 300A BMS.

SS wanted me to get 2 of the EG4-LL with the 2 6500EX-48 inverters since my goal is 240 split phase with charging on grid utility and not solar PV.

So I want to incorporate these batteries to this setup. I even made a simple layout plan. Will put the class T fuses in place also, just didnt have pics to put in the crude layout.

Server EG4_LL with DIY Docan 300ah_small.jpg the 304aH

SS wanted me to get 2 of the EG4-LL with the 2 6500EX-48 inverters since my goal is 240 split phase with charging on grid utility and not solar PV.

So I want to incorporate these batteries to this setup. I even made a simple layout plan. Will put the class T fuses in place also, just didnt have pics to put in the crude layout.

View attachment 101259 the 304aH
I found this thread:

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/combining-batteries.36893/

New to these forums, this thread was the closest I could find to what my question is. I have 3 eg4 48 v 100 ah and 3 lifepower4 48 100 ah. Im wanting to use them with a solark 12 that does not do bms with the eg's or lifepower4's. How do I start up/get the batts to communicate with each other ect? After seeing the start up videos from eg that only talk about using the batts with their inverters, I'm scared I'll hurt the batteries if I do something wrong on start up.

New to these forums, this thread was the closest I could find to what my question is. I have 3 eg4 48 v 100 ah and 3 lifepower4 48 100 ah. Im wanting to use them with a solark 12 that does not do bms with the eg's or lifepower4's. How do I start up/get the batts to communicate with each other ect? After seeing the start up videos from eg that only talk about using the batts with their inverters, I'm scared I'll hurt the batteries if I do something wrong on start up.
Well at least you have 100aH batteries to put together. Mine are 2 100aH and the other set are 304aH.. I sure hope the BMS on the EVE 304aH setup can handle being attached to the other batteries. No one seems to have an opinion on that.

As to your EG4, they have a startup surge protection. I am not sure about the LifePower4 series. I think Will P has some videos on the LifePower4 however on his YouTube channel being connected to his inverters and I am sure he will cover that issue.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse/videos

The communication of the EG4 anything series batteries right now appears to be hit and miss. Depends on what cables you got, what firmware, what inverter.. and the list goes on. @RichardFromEG4

Maybe Richard has some insight to the connection of an off brand BMS like OverKill 16S to a EG4 series battery setup.

View attachment 101259 the 304aH
If you already had a diy3041ah battery, IMO, if I wanted more I'd build another 304ah battery, although the 304ah are getting a bit hard to find at a good price. If you bought good cells and with that bms, you already had a better battery.

As others have said, it's hit or miss right now with the EG4 series of batteries. They seem to be optimized for the EG4, MPP and Growatt inverters. But when it comes to other major brands like Schneider, Magnum and maybe Solark there could be issues.

However, the batteries themselves should all communicate with each other. They all use a RJ45 interface data cable. But getting them to communicate with the inverter might be another issue.

I would send Richard from EG4 (tagged above) a message and gets his opinion.

This is his video compatibility test with the solark:

My only problem with these "compatibility" tests is that they don't do anything other than power on and maybe see if the inverter can run a saw. Real life use is much different and that's where we are seeing issues.

Don't the LL and regular have different BMSs and different approaches to pre-charge? If nothing else, your sequence of powering up the system is likely going to end up being a little more complicated.

Operationally it works, but I have trouble believing it is seamless.

Don't the LL and regular have different BMSs and different approaches to pre-charge? If nothing else, your sequence of powering up the system is likely going to end up being a little more complicated.

Operationally it works, but I have trouble believing it is seamless.
I have read that they have different bms but IIRC, somewhere in a post Richard said they were the same.

I have read that they have different bms but IIRC, somewhere in a post Richard said they were the same.
The BMS are different. The quickest way you can confirm that is by going to there website and you will find the PC software used to interface with each battery is totally different and only works with the model it is designed for.

Back