diy solar

diy solar

Combine solar with a wind or other generator

GrayEagle

Hello. I want to go to solar with a back up or additional power source. I would like to use some kind of wind or water powered low speed generator to charge batteries. Is there a low speed generator that is being recommended with solar power?

Hello. I want to go to solar with a back up or additional power source. I would like to use some kind of wind or water powered low speed generator to charge batteries. Is there a low speed generator that is being recommended with solar power?
Do you have flowing water or enough wind at your location?
A long but great read on the feasibility of wind power.

Wind is commonly coupled with solar. Wind turbines are very disappointing in most parts of the world. Do NOT consider a system based on rated power as you will almost NEVER get anywhere near that.

A 6 foot diameter micro wind turbine may produce about 80-100W with steady, clean 10mph winds.

Explore this resource thoroughly:

and clearly identify the actual annual wind for your area.

Last edited:

Thank you for the article. I will be reading it

Thanks for article. I am reading through it. I do not have running water and wind may not be reliable. I am more specifically looking for the low speed electric generator to produce electricity. My hope is to use it and power it mechanically if there not enough wind blowing. I am not sure if the generator in any wind turbine can be utilized in a different ways.

It almost sounds like you're referring to a hand crank of some kind. When you get to that level, a simple gas generator hooked to your inverter/charger is likely the best option.

Last edited:
Wind is commonly coupled with solar. Wind turbines are very disappointing in most parts of the world. Do NOT consider a system based on rated power as you will almost NEVER get anywhere near that.

A 6 foot diameter micro wind turbine may produce about 80-100W with steady, clean 10mph winds.

Explore this resource thoroughly:

and clearly identify the actual annual wind for your area.

Thank you for this information. I will read through it and see if it helps me. I am specifically looking for a low speed electricity generator similar to those I have seen online and used in other countries but not used in the U.S. for similar purposes. The ones I have seen on YouTube are sketchy and I am trying to avoid those. I have seen a few people use washing machines motors but I have not tried these yet. Have you heard of anyone using a generator from the wind turbine and powering it mechanically?

I am specifically looking for a low speed electricity generator similar to those I have seen online and used in other countries but not used in the U.S. for similar purposes. The ones I have seen on YouTube are sketchy and I am trying to avoid those. I have seen a few people use washing machines motors but I have not tried these yet. Have you heard of anyone using a generator from the wind turbine and powering it mechanically?
They are all sketchy because there is no free lunch.

Human powered power generation is limited to being able to power cell phone chargers and a few led lights which is why that is not popular in the US.

Even a trained athlete turning a generator with pedals and chain can produce very little power for only short periods.

You really haven't stated where you are located and what kind if situation you are in? Knowing your location would be a great help in guiding you to the proper resources you can use to get power.

To reinforce what MBR says, a trained athlete, on a generator-linked bike frame, can generator about 100W of power. Imagine pedaling for an hour and you've produced 0.1kwh of power.

Wind might produce more power, but the usual rule of thumb is if the wind resource is high enough to produce power, then people don't want to live there. If you need a strap to keep your hat on while outside, then you might get some power. Most windmills produce on 1/10 their rated power in a 10mph wind, and no power at all if the wind is less than 7mph.

Unless you live on a mountain in the ocean side of the Cascades, solar is most likely still the easiest option.

Back