diy solar

diy solar

Combiner box before Enphase Envoy combiner?

coluke

I’m installing a DIY solar kit I purchased. I have 23 330 watt panels split up into two strings using Enphase microinverters. I received a basic combiner box to combine the two strings and an Enphase combiner box with envoy. I figured I didn’t need the regular combiner box only the Enphase box.

The company I purchased it all through seemed confused at first when I asked why I had two as I was, then they just said it’s redundancy, install both.

My first post and I’m new to all this, i did some looking and couldn’t find anything regarding my question. Is there any reason to have two combiner boxes with only two strings of panels? I feel like they said use both only because they sent it. ??‍♂️

Enphase has a few types of combiner boxes. Combiner boxes are used to consolidate wires, typically from a smaller gauge to a higher gauge, but sometimes (wire prices being what they are) just to minimize the overall length of wire.

The roof-top combiner box is used to connect multiple panels into a single output.

Then there is a combiner box that sits on the side of the house to connect the solar to the grid. You can get that with an Envoy installed or not, but it also contains circuit breakers and serves as the PV disconnect. So, you don't typically need two combiner boxes on the side of your house.

As long as you're not exceeding the ampacity of any of the wires you're good. Here's an imagine of my setup https://diysolarforum.com/threads/an-enphase-ensemble-installation.3603/post-122803

Last edited:
Back