diy solar

diy solar

Combiner Box Wiring?

Bowlegs868

I'm just curious about the wiring in my combiner box — the wiring goes as follows:

(See attached photo)

One positive (+) from the 2S2P solar panel array goes into the first breaker, the second positive (+) goes to the second breaker, then out of both breakers into the surge suppressor's positive (+), the two negatives (-) from the 2S2P array goes to the surge suppressor's negative (-), the ground from the array frame goes to the battery negative (-) and a positive and negative wire comes out of the surge suppressor to feed the SCC

Is this ok? Can it be improved in any way?

Attachments

• 325A0445-A3CB-4C5E-B1EC-47DFC5929243.jpeg
    325A0445-A3CB-4C5E-B1EC-47DFC5929243.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 31
Not sure which SCC you have. But I would check the instructions before grounding any part of the DC system. I would never recommend doing this.

Edit: unless this is a mobile setup.

@Bowlegs868 I would add another wire to ground all the solar panels and have this wire connected to the ground.

I don't know if connecting one of the wires of the PV to the ground is necessary or recommended.
I don't know either is there is any recommendation to connect the (-) of the battery to the ground is necessary.

I would connect any metallic parts, including the EMT conduits, to the ground.
However one of the outputs of the DC-AC Inverter will be connected to the Neutral, and then to the ground at the panel level.

I would add another wire to ground all the solar panels and have this wire connected to the ground.
actually, the frames of all four panels is tied to a grounding wire... now I just have to reroute that wire from the battery negative to the AC panel ground
I don't know if connecting one of the wires of the PV to the ground is necessary or recommended.
the additional wire coming down from the array is actually the ground conductor from the PV frames... +/- doesn't go to ground

Back