diy solar

diy solar

Combining 200 feet of pex with a Sand battery. Starting my first tests and progress so far.

Are you pulling that heat out and putting it to use in any way? Or is the drop to 250°f all lost heat energy?

Are you pulling that heat out and putting it to use in any way? Or is the drop to 250°f all lost heat energy?

Short answer it is lost heat at the moment, but I have run some tests with using it.

I have used it to dry out wet wood before I put ifiber glass nsulation in, I put kindling on top of it that was when the temps were between 200 - 350 deg for like 6 hours.... so drying worked great.

After put fiberglass insulation in and was reaching over 800 deg I took 2.5 gal of water in a pot at 60 degrees and sat it on top. The temp went up to 180 degrees. and slowly went down but it was not covered very well...

I left the pot on and the next day it boiled the pot about noon and the sand battery was over 400 degrees. I had to yank it off as the steam was putting moisture into the fiberglass insulation.... So I do see this viable for heat retention cooking....... as the temp does a slow drop over time.

So... It would of boiled the water if I would of had half the amount of water I do believe...

That said, I do have an idea to make a dry distiller to capture methonol and syngas with say a paint can in the top with a pipe coming out to a coil to cool.

One day as I was playing with this I set the lid of the dutch oven on the ground.... when I went to lift it up this is what I saw... that is what 800 deg will do :)

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_163936.jpg
    IMG_20240129_163936.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 10
Back