diy solar

diy solar

Combining Lead and lithium battery banks to inverter by way of antireversal inputs with solar charge controllers.

burgboy

Hello Everyone. I was thinking about a setup using solar charge controllers from two separate lithium and lead banks into a single inverter.

The charge controllers have anti reversal diodes to prevent backflow. Will this system work?

Problems i see are minimum input voltages: solar for dc applications usually start at 18v. Will having the batteries power the controllers at the "solar" slot be an issue at 14-12 volts input?

Is there a better solution than using these controllers as middlemen? Another problem I forsee is the charge controllers having limited discharging current capacity.

My set up is in an rv, so Perhaps in the interest of spending the minimum on parts it would go something like this:

Alternator + generator being naturally suited for charging Pb, is hooked to them directly.

Solar panel bank 1 is hooked to Pb charge controller, then to Pb batteries. Solar panel bank 2 is hooked to Li charge controller, then to Li batteries. Li batteries are then hooked to inverter input solar charge controller. Inverter input solar charge controller is hooked to Pb batteries and inverter directly at the 'battery' slots on charge controller.

Batteries have a victron battery protect set to cut off at 11.8 volts from the inverter input solar charge controller to the inverter.

Both battery banks have 150 amp breakers from themselves to the inverter.

How would this system fare for combining two battery bank chemistries?

Is there a device I dont know about that will solve the issue of 12 volt input nonactivation of the charge controller and limited current output compared to direct battery connection ? Obviously my suggestion of solar controllers is a hack job

Combining the batteries is a fools errand. Operate two separate systems or let the FLA go.

Back