diy solar

diy solar

Combo box for RV (MPPT/Invert/Shore Power Charge/DC>DC/12v&240v Output

dominoconsultant

I really liked the recent video about the simple system with the growatt box and the LI battery and the price was really good.

I think my use case would be quite common in that I'm full time in an RV and one key system requirement is 12v output. I don't see this discussed much.

So what I'm looking for is a combo box that does the MPPT/Inverter/240v Shore Power Charge/DC>DC/12v&240v Output. I'm not too fussed about how many volts the battery store is although I'm thinking 48v seems best. I just need to be able to get the 12v out for a multitude of devices.

Please treat me like a noob if this is a noob question.

Mike in Australia

I am not aware of an all-in-one that has that much 'all' to it.

To get what you want would probably need the following components:
  • All in one with:
    • PV input
    • Battery input
    • shore power input
    • 240V out.
  • DC-DC charger for alternator charging
  • DC-DC buck converter for 12V
  • Batteries

To add to what Filterguy said, take a look at this Victron link. Add an Orion-Tr Smart non-isolated DC-DC charger (if you charge via alternator) and one of these to go from 24v to 12v. Victron does have 48v to 12v DC-DC converters, but you'll need to use multiple smaller ones to power your larger 12v loads. There is a hole in Victron's product line for higher power 48v --> 12v converters.

Hopefully others will respond with options other than Victron.

Just make sure your DC to DC buck converter can handle the loads of your system.

Back