diy solar

diy solar

Common Daly BMS problems?

I actually bought 3...

JK-B2A8S20P-H 8s 200a with heater. It talks about 2 probes but doesn't mention low temp protection although you think it would if it supports heaters.

JBD 4s 120 and the JBD 8s 200 basic models which don't say anything about BT or low temp.

Found the JBD 200 amp I've been using (I have two of them).

Hopefully this one's common enough that someone knows the answer...
4S 250A Daly smart, with Bluetooth, been performing excellent since putting it together 18 months ago, until it's not.
The Daly seems to turn itself off - as it output drops to ~10V.
Bluetooth still works, can connect to the BMS, and read cell and pack voltages, current shows as 0A.
Still runs the engel, LED lights, USB chargers etc. Doesn't accept charge, unless...
If I apply charge (have Victron SmartSolar and 12/12-30) and I hit 'reboot' in Daly app settings, I hear the alternator load up, current goes up to 30A and all seems fine. until the charge drops off, voltage drops back to ~10V.

Hmm, just went down to test how quickly it was dropping from 13.8 back to 10. Connected via BT as before, hit reboot and now I the BMS doesn't show in the app anymore... can't seem to jump wake it either.

Yeah so if anyone is interested, the new normal seems to be that the Daly won't accept charge unless I reboot it using the app. Then it seems to charge fine until charge source disappears (eg turn card off and park in the shade / sun goes down. Seems to be a list to the number of times I can reboot it in a day too, it gets cranky and turns off. Guessing the Daly is dodgy.
Still runs my load fine, battery is oversized so runs Engel for weeks.

Yeah so if anyone is interested, the new normal seems to be that the Daly won't accept charge unless I reboot it using the app. Then it seems to charge fine until charge source disappears (eg turn card off and park in the shade / sun goes down. Seems to be a list to the number of times I can reboot it in a day too, it gets cranky and turns off. Guessing the Daly is dodgy.
Still runs my load fine, battery is oversized so runs Engel for weeks.

I hate to say it, but Daly just drove me crazy, and none of the three I own are in use. I will also say that none of the three are "broken", it's just their quirks, constant changing of the design, and lack of documentation made me go with something better.

JK or JBD are better options in my book. Daly just doesn't care about the consumer, or apparently quality control.

Both JBD and JK now have 200 amp versions, and unless you are using over 400 amp hour capacity cells, should work great.
For the frequently purchased 280 and 304 amp hour cells, you really should be designing your system for LESS than 140 or 150 amps draw. The 200 amp capacity gives you a nice "Chinese" margin.

It’s been great for the last 18 months. Just kinda started misbehaving and no apparent event triggered it. I think the max load my system sees is about 10A, so maybe the 250A Daly is protesting cos it’s over qualified ?.

It’s been great for the last 18 months. Just kinda started misbehaving and no apparent event triggered it. I think the max load my system sees is about 10A, so maybe the 250A Daly is protesting cos it’s over qualified ?.
Hi,
Have you solved your problem?
I am kind of having the same issue. I have my RV's battery bank set with 8 (4S2P) 280 Ah prismatic cells, and I am using Daly 250A BMS. Things were working fine for about a year now. But, over this weekend, the BMS can't keep the balance within de 20mV and cuts off current before the 100% SOC is achieved (stops at 99.1%).
One problem we had last was the extreme cold but I have a heater in the battery box enclosure that keeps thing > 10deg C. SO I am assuming the cells aren't damaged.
Thanks

Back