diy solar

diy solar

Commonly used Forum Acronyms & Abbreviations

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
Solar is befuddling enough! Why use acronyms? Well, we're lazy typists.... :LOL:
  • xSyP - e.g., 2S2P, shorthand for how many cells in Series (S) and Parallel (P).
  • A - Amperes or amps. A measure of current. See warning.
  • AC - Air Conditioning, sometimes A/C.
  • AC - Alternating Current, a waveform of varying voltage with steady frequency.
  • AFAIK - As far as I know
  • AGM - Absorbent glass mat, a type of lead acid battery.
  • Ah - Amp Hours
  • AHJ - Authority having Jurisdiction.
  • AIC - "Amps Interrupting Capability" the maximum fault current a fuse or breaker is rated to interrupt (rather than continuing to arc.)
  • AIO = All in one: Stand alone solar power system in a box. Usually contains Inverter/MPPT Charge Controller/AC Battery Charger and Transfer switch.
  • AKA - Also known as
  • B2B - Battery to Battery
  • BFE - Basic flood elevation (height above sea level), typically electrical gear must be at least BFE+1
  • BMS - Battery Management System, variety of features designed to keep lithium batteries safe
  • BTU - British Thermal Units, a measurement of heat where it takes 1 BUT to heat 1 lb of water 1 degree F.
  • BTUH - British Thermal Units, a measurement of heat where it takes 1 BUT to heat 1 lb of water 1 degree F. per hour
  • C - Coulombs, a unit of electric charge, also sometimes used as an expression of C-Rate.
  • CCCV - Constant current, constant voltage (recommended method for charging lithium-ion and lithium polymer rechargeable batteries)
  • COTS - Commercial, Off The Shelf. Opposite of DIY.
  • C-Rate - Measure of the rate at which a battery is being charged or discharged over the 1-hour rate. E.g., .5C of a 2 Ah battery is 1 amp.
  • CYA - Covering Your Anatomy, actions taken so a person doesn't take the blame for something.
  • DC - Direct current, unidirectional flow or movement of electric charge carriers
  • DIY - Do it Yourself.
  • DMM-Digital Multi Meter also, DVM - Digital Volt Meter and DVAM or DVOM Digital Volt Amp Meter, and Digital Volt Ohm Meter
  • DoD - Depth of Discharge, usually used in reference to optimizing such that you can maximize battery cycle life.
  • DDP - Delivery Duty Paid (seller pays all shipping costs) or the sourcing company ddp energy.
  • DSO - Digital Storage Oscilloscope ** (Scope)** - used to visualize electrical frequency characteristics
  • EF - Electrofrequency RF
  • EFI - Electrofrequency interference RFI
  • ELV - Extra-Low voltage, less than 50 VAC or 120V DC; varies a bit from country to country. Still dangerous.
  • EM - Electromagnetic
  • EMI - Electromagnetic interference
  • EMR - Electromagnetic Radiation RFI
  • ETL - UL & ETL are both what are called Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL). ETL tests to UL standards.
  • EV - Electric Vehicle
  • FET - Field Effect Transistor
  • FLA - Flooded Lead Acid battery, this is the type you put distilled water into.
  • FWIW - For what it's worth
  • GFI - Ground Fault Interrupt, or Grid Forming Inverter
  • GT - Grid-tied, for example, a GT Inverter is a grid-tied inverter.
  • GIGO - Garbage In Garbage Out. Translation... bad supplies lead to bad results.
  • GTG - Good to Go!
  • HOA - Home Owner's Association, a lot of times they have good-intentioned rules to keep the neighbor nice
  • HV - High Voltage, IEC term to indicate > 1000 VAC or 1500 VDC. see warning
  • HVD - High Voltage Disconnect
  • HVHZ - High-Velocity Hurricane Zone.
  • IDK - I don't know.
  • IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
  • IoT - Internet of things - Excuse to have some serious fun automating or controlling things remotely
  • Impp - Solar panel Maximum Power Point Amperes, see link
  • IR - Internal resistance, every part in an electrical circuit has some resistance. IR in the forums is usually referring to a battery's resistance
  • IR - Infra-Red, a part of the electromagnetic spectrum associated with heat. Example
  • Isc - Solar panel Short Circuit in Amperes, see link
  • KISS - Keep It Simple Silly principle, originally U.S. navy slang that complexity bred failure
  • kW - 1000 watts, see W

Last edited by a moderator:
  • LA - Lead Acid Battery
  • LFP/LiFePO4 - Lithium Iron Phosphate.
  • LiIon - Lithium Ion Battery chemistry
  • LRA - Locked rotor amps. A measure of the high startup current needed by Induction motors in devices (e.g. refrigerator, pump, AC). Lower LRA means lower amps.
  • LV - Low Voltage, defined as 50V or less - but is still dangerous. See ELV.
    WARNING: outside the U.S. LV may mean 50 to 1000 VAC and 75 to 1500 VDC,
  • LVD - Low Voltage Disconnect
  • (MOS)FET - (Metal Oxide Semiconductor) Field Effect Transistor
  • MPPT - Maximum Point Power Tracking - it's an efficient way to maximize the power from your solar panels, aka SCC
  • OCP or OCPD - Over Current Protection Device. Protects a circuit from damage due to an over-current condition (e.g., a fuse).
  • OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer.
  • OP - Original Poster or Original Post
  • PCB - Printed Circuit Board
  • PITA - Pain in the Anterior
  • Pmax - Solar panel Maximum in Watts, see link
  • PSPS - Public Safety Power Shutoff, e.g., PGE turning off power to millions to not start a fire rather than fix their power lines.
  • PSU - Power Supply Unit
  • PTC - PVUSA Test Condition A more "real world" test condition than STC for rating solar panels
  • PTO - Permission to Operate, needs to be granted in grid-tied systems before supplying power to the grid.
  • PWM - Pulse Width Modulation - it's a low-cost digital technique to pulse power; in the forums usually refers to a type of SCC
  • PWS - Personal Weather Station
  • PV - Photovoltaic, generally referring to solar panels.
  • Rpi - Raspberry Pi
  • RTFM - Read the Fine Manual or FAQ.
  • RV - Recreational Vehicle - Although that's a technical classification; for many people, it's their only home and way of life whether it be due to economics, the Tiny Home movement, or the desire for a nomadic lifestyle.
  • SBC - Single Board Computer
  • SBMS - Solar Battery Management System, in context of the Electrodacus BMS
  • SCC - Solar Charge Controller - this is usually a PWM or MPPT; it's the bit that converts solar power to battery power
  • SCCR - Short Circuit Current Rating
  • SHTF - A state of regional or global anarchy where people are on their own (e.g., zombies, nuclear war).
  • SOC - State of Charge, usually determined by comparing the battery's voltage to a chart for that type of battery.
  • SLA - Sealed Lead Acid battery
  • STC - Standard Test Condition - These are the conditions that solar panels have their wattage determined
  • THD - Total Harmonic Distortion - a measurement voltage distortion in AC due to harmonics (occurs on inverters and generators).
  • UL - Underwriter's Laboratory. UL and ETL are both Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL). NRTLs are in place to provide independent safety and quality certifications on products. UL develops the testing standards and tests to them.
  • UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply, a fast switching device that provides power should grid voltage or frequency go beyond set points.
  • V - Volts, a measure of electrical potential
  • VAC - Voltage Alternating Current
  • VAR - Value Added Reseller
  • VDC - Voltage Direct Current
  • VHB - Very High Bond, 3M introduced 3M™ VHB™ Tapes in 1980 to replace screws, rivets and welds
  • Voc - Solar panel Open Circuit Voltage, see link
  • VRLA - Valve Regulated Lead Acid battery
  • Vmpp - Solar panel Maximum Power Point Voltage, see link
  • W - Watts, a unit of power in an electric circuit
  • Wh - Watt hours, the number of watts over a period of 1 hour
  • WRT - With regard to
  • YMMV - Your mileage may vary; means that you can expect similar, but not the exact same results

Last edited by a moderator:
Good move! Now to get people to stop talking "slang" by using model numbers of things as if we all know every model made by every manufacturer. "Yeah I bought a 783Blink182XJKTE and I am testing it now". As the readers all scurry to Google to find out what the hell a 783Blink182XJKTE is......

Maybe say "I picked up a battery yesterday and I am testing it. It's a 783Blink182XKJTE made by _____________".

v or V - Volts * generally straight after a number
a or A - AMPS (Amperes) *
ah or Ah - AMP HOURS *
w or W - Watts *
wh or Wh - Watt Hours *
kw or Kw - Kilowatt *
kwh or KWh - Kilowatt Hours *

Pmax - Solar panel Maximum in Watts
Voc - Solar panel Open Circuit Voltage
Vmpp - Solar panel Maximum Power Point Voltage
Impp - Solar panel Maximum Power Point Amperes
Isc - Solar panel Short Circuit in Amperes

LiIon - Lithium Battery chemistry
LiIon 18650 -Lithium battery chemistry with the cylindrical size of the cell eg 18.6mm (give or take)+ 0/-0.7mm Diameter by Height 65.2 (give or take) + 0/-1.0mm

RF - Radio Frequency
RFI - Radio Frequency interference
EM - Electromagnetic
EMI - Electromagnetic interference
EF - Electrofrequency RF
EFI - Electrofrequency interference RFI
EMR - Electromagnetic Radiation RFI

Thinking like a newbie is difficult (I know how they feel)! The RF stuff may not be used but as much as possible to make life easy yea...
I've drawn a blank... May be later when I don't have a head ache.

**EDIT**
svetz ; I just realised you have A (was up the top), V, Ah W, Wh, Kw... little different but there, LiIon, EF/Ms and a few more :rolleyes: SORRY :oops:
How bout
LoL - Laugh out loud :LOL:
LiPol - Lithium Polymer Battery chemistry
WLA - Wet Lead Acid Battery
Did't see them.
Don't make up for my BOO BOO though.
PS I thought you or some one would of screamed at me "I/he have/has some of those" but you liked it? :cool: :eek: and now another...

Last edited:
Solar is befuddling enough! Why use acronyms? Well, we're lazy typists.... :LOL:

• A - Amperes or amps. A measure of current
  • AC - Air Conditioning, sometimes A/C.
  • AC - Alternating Current, a waveform of varying voltage in a circuit whose positive half-period corresponds with positive direction of the current and negative half negative direction of current.
  • AFAIK - As far as I know
  • Ah - Amp Hours
  • AGM - Absorbent glass mat, a type of lead acid battery.
  • AKA - Also known as
  • BMS - Battery Management System, variety of features designed to keep lithium batteries safe
  • DC - Direct current, unidirectional flow or movement of electric charge carriers
  • DoD - Depth of Discharge, usually used in reference to optimizing such that you can maximize battery cycle life.
  • EF - Electrofrequency RF
  • EFI - Electrofrequency interference RFI
  • EM - Electromagnetic
  • EMI - Electromagnetic interference
  • EMR - Electromagnetic Radiation RFI
  • FLA - Flooded Lead Acid battery, this is the type you put distilled water into.
  • FWIW - For what it's worth
  • GT - Grid tied, for example a GT Inverter is a grid-tied inverter.
  • IOT - Internet of things - Excuse to have some serious fun automating or controlling things remotely.
  • Impp - Solar panel Maximum Power Point Amperes, see link
  • IR - Internal resistance, every part in an electrical circuit has some resistance. IR in the forums is usually referring to a battery's resistance.
  • IR - Infra Red, a part of the electromagnetic spectrum associated with heat. Example.
  • Isc - Solar panel Short Circuit in Amperes, , see link
  • kW - 1000 watts, see W
  • LiFePO4 - Lithium Iron Phosphate.
  • LiIon - Lithium Ion Battery chemistry
  • MPPT - MultiPoint Power Tracking - it's an efficient way to maximize the power from your solar panels, aka SCC
  • OP - Original Poster or Original Post
  • Pmax - Solar panel Maximum in Watts, see link
  • PWM - Pulse Width Modulation - it's a low cost digital technique to pulse power; in the forums usually refers to a type of SCC
  • PV - Photovoltaic, generally referring to solar panels.
  • RV - Recreational Vehicle - Although that's a technical classification; for many people it's their only home and way of life whether it be due to economics, the Tiny Home movement, or the desire for a nomadic life style.
  • SCC - Solar Charge Controller - this is usually a PWM or MPPT; it's the bit that converts solar power to battery power
  • SOC - State of Charge, usually determined by comparing the battery's voltage to a chart for that type of battery.
  • SLA - Sealed Lead Acid battery
  • THD - Total Harmonic Distortion - a measurement voltage distortion in AC due to harmonics (occurs on inverters and generators).
  • V - Volts, a measure of electrical force.
  • Voc - Solar panel Open Circuit Voltage, see link
  • Vmpp - Solar panel Maximum Power Point Voltage, see link
  • W - Watts, a unit of power in an electric circuit
  • Wh - Watt hours, the number of watts over a period of 1 hour.
Reply with the ones you've used or were confused by and an Moderator will add them to the list.
OMG, where's LOL?

LRA - Locked rotor amps. If you are buying a new refrigerator and want an estimate of the surge wattage, the compressor should have a sticker showing the LRA in amps. Lower LRA means a lower surge wattage, less stress on an inverter or generator when refrigerator starts.
Cool thanks.

I never heard that one so I just DDG'd it, (Duck Duck Go), and I had to wash my eyes out with soap!
:LOL:
Room To F**t More
Room To Inappropriate :censored: thought.. Wash my mouth out with soap.
Run The Fast Mile
??

Yea i'm lost anyone fill us in?
When I thought my head ache was getting better..

Last edited:
Read The Fookin Manual

You two crack me up.
:LOL: Ahh, yea.
See how easy it is to get unstuck (y)
While I'm at it

BTU - British Thermal Units
DIY - Do it your self
MC4 - Multi Contact 4 is the size in mm
Nm - Newton meters also Nautical Mile (NM)
PWR - Power

Still thinking...

From @offgriddle's post... I know you meant the search engine... but I've heard DDG in this vein... but if I'm wrong let me know.
  • DDG - From the children's game of Duck Duck Goose, typically applied when fixing one thing breaks another.
If it's not common enough we can delete it. Probably should, I don't think I've seen it used here.

Update: Yeah, deleted it...

Last edited:
MC4 - Multi Contact 4 is the size in mm
Nm - Newton meters also Nautical Mile (NM)
PWR - Power
Skipped over these, the last two don't seem common enough, and the first one is a specific type.

**EDIT**
svetz ; I just realised you have A (was up the top), V, Ah W, Wh, Kw... little different but there, LiIon, EF/Ms and a few more :rolleyes: SORRY :oops:
How bout
LoL - Laugh out loud :LOL:
LiPol - Lithium Polymer Battery chemistry
WLA - Wet Lead Acid Battery
Did't see them.
Don't make up for my BOO BOO though.
PS I thought you or some one would of screamed at me "I/he have/has some of those" but you liked it? :cool: :eek: and now another...
Actually, those were edited in after I saw your post - I was just quick about it. ;) I've been marking "like" on posts where their acronyms have been adopted. Even RTFM.

So I didn't add 18650 as it's a specific model, like MC4.

Didn't add WLA as I haven't seen that one, our members seem to shorten it even further to LA, but I did add LA and FLA.
Also haven't added LoL (people don't seem to use it, I guess the emoticon is easier) or LiPol just as I haven't seen people use it.

But if folks think they need to be there let me know! I'm trying to balance the list between impossibly long and useful.

Last edited:
Back