diy solar

diy solar

Compact size battery on off switch?

johnny5

Just bought a blue sea systems on off switch for my battery (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MMC914) and boy is this thing HUGE. I have a small system in a Chevy Astro... 100ah lithium battery, 200w solar. Space is limited, this stupid switch takes up almost as much space as my entire DC fuse block. Are there any more compact sized options available for an on/off switch?

max amps, i can't see drawing more than 15 amps simultaneously. i have a 28l dometic fridge (7 amps i think when just powering up), 12w of led overhead lights, will charge cell phone and camera, have a laptop and monitor, both running on 12v not through an inverter. that's it, no big appliances.

Those 12v swicthes on amazon don't look like they accept the 4ga wire though coming off my battery;) i am looking for an on off switch for my 100ah lithium BATTERY, not one specific 12v circuit.

max amps, i can't see drawing more than 15 amps simultaneously. i have a 28l dometic fridge (7 amps i think when just powering up), 12w of led overhead lights, will charge cell phone and camera, have a laptop and monitor, both running on 12v not through an inverter. that's it, no big app
Then you need a switch (and fuse) for 20amps.

liances.

Those 12v swicthes on amazon don't look like they accept the 4ga wire though coming off my battery;) i am looking for an on off switch for my 100ah lithium BATTERY, not one specific 12v circuit.
Its not the battery size that matters - its the amps of your max load (and max charging) that matter. If 15-20a is all you need, then you can use smaller wire from the battery (and smaller switch). 4awg is on the order of 80a :)

Then you need a switch (and fuse) for 20amps.

Its not the battery size that matters - its the amps of your max load (and max charging) that matter. If 15-20a is all you need, then you can use smaller wire from the battery (and smaller switch). 4awg is on the order of 80a :)
Yes but will charge the battery with solar and alternator. i should have mentioned the alternator charging, i have a dc to dc charger with mppt for solar. also sized the wire for an inverter that i want to add in the future. that way i don't have to rewire.

If you want the switch to handle a 12V inverter, you will need the big switch.
You could wire to a bussbar with the large wire, and have a small 50A switch protect the fuse block...
I have a few old jump boxes, they have a 1.5” square switch with #2 lugs on it. Quite small... and it is designed to turn off the jumper cables to the jump box. Of course, it is not rated for use under load...

I really like this Ampper Am-CBS01 Battery Switch because it’s small and cheap. It has a simple and compact design that packs enough features to eliminate unnecessary power draw in my vehicle. The switch has a very solid feel, it's easy to know if it's switch on or off. The device works with 12-volt systems as it does with 48-volt battery systems. Securing your vehicle’s electrical system should never be a problem with this product.

You can use a breaker as a switch.

DIN rail is one possibility or a surface mount like this:

Not a huge size difference bit it’s lower profile and a bit smaller.

The switch you linked in orginal post is not huge. Just find a place near the battery to mount it.

I really like this Ampper Am-CBS01 Battery Switch because it’s small and cheap. It has a simple and compact design that packs enough features to eliminate unnecessary power draw in my vehicle. The switch has a very solid feel, it's easy to know if it's switch on or off. The device works with 12-volt systems as it does with 48-volt battery systems. Securing your vehicle’s electrical system should never be a problem with this product.

You can use a breaker as a switch.

DIN rail is one possibility or a surface mount like this:

Not a huge size difference bit it’s lower profile and a bit smaller.

Using a breaker on a DIN rail is what I did. I already had the DIN rail, with room on it. The small size factor switches I could find were cheesy. Using a breaker as a switch may be overkill, but I'm very happy with the result.

Back