diy solar

diy solar

Conduit in wall for DC-only?

GeneDoc

I'm running wire into a newly-framed 11x11 off-grid workroom and want to put the DC-wiring into the walls, though don't know if conduit is necessary.
  • I want to run 8 or 9 AWG stranded THWN wire, though I'm having a hard time finding it locally. All I seem to find locally is THHN and no larger than 10 AWG. Any preferred online stores for wire?
  • When running the DC-wiring in workroom walls, is it a must that I use conduit? Connections will be with WAGO connectors. I am fairly sure I don't need to use conduit for my NM 12/2 w/ ground. I think I've read not to put AC and DC in shared spaces.
  • If I'm running 3.3 Amps across 30 feet for lights and simple outlets, my wire sizing table talks about needing 10 AWG wire, which is why I want to step up to 8 or 9 AWG. Some of these darn tables don't say if they are counting round trip. Any advice on assuming round-trip or not?

It's a single-room shed in the middle of nowhere that's a little more fancy than a regular shed because I'm framing it with insulation in the walls so I'm not quite miserable working in there in the winter. When I see things pertaining to "fire walls", that's for multiroom buildings.

Distance from point A to point B could be 15 linear feet. However, electricity has to flow 30 feet round trip in this case. Some references talk about a round trip, while others only seem to talk about linear distance. That's why I'm confused.

12AWG adequate for 3.3amps @ 30 feet. Even 14AWG
If 2 wires needed to complete the circuit calculate for the total length of wire used for both legs.
1600865613280.png

Back