diy solar

diy solar

Cone shape roof with metal shingles for solar options?

infocean

Hi,
I have a 20 sided polygon based home, - see attached images -, so the roof is also 20 sided with a 4 feet overhang at each side. Looking from above it looks as a 20 pizza slice together. On one triangle slice I can put 3 panels. One in landscape position on the overhang if the panel is narrower than 4 feet, one on the bottom of the roof, above the overhang and one in portrait above the landscaped ones. The overhang is 3:12 slope, the roof is 6:10 slope and that will be the angle for the panels on the overhang and on the roof /I am at the 40.15 latitude/. I get sunshine just from east-south-west, it means I can use 15 slice from the 20. That is max 45 panels. If I count 500W/panel that is 22.5KW. Obviously I will never able to produce more that 12KW from this arrangement because of the cone shape of the surface of the roof, the panels on the west will not produce before noon and panels on the east will not produce after noon. I an thinking about the Will advertised bifacial 480W panels from Heliene. The railing for the panels will be attached to the roof by the older SnapnRock mond base via a stainless steel divider at all the 180 points.
My questions are:
1. What kind of inverters are good for this arrangement? /None of the panels are getting the same amount of Sun exposure as the other at the same time./
2. How the panels should string together if there is no micro inverter and how if the panel comes with a micro inverter?
3. I would like to be grid connected for net metering, but I do not want to loose power when the grid is out. Related question: can the inverter(s) handle automatically the "grid down" scenario and keep the power inside the house up, but not to feed the grid till that is down. Can it be automated, or do I need manually switch off and on?
4. What kind of battery would be the best both by efficiency and economy point of view. /I have space in the basement/
5. Do I need separate battery chargers, or will it be done by the inverter?
Thanks ahead,
Infocean
P.S. I ordered the metal roof a week ago and I will do the work, hopefully I can finish it by end of July. I plan to order the solar panels and related equipments at about middle of June and do the install by myself.. I would like to order US made, but even the Helien's mono panels have only 18% conversion rate. Many Chinese company offer 500W or bigger panels with above 20% conversion rate. Two % matters. How reliable of any Far East company compared to US or Canadian or European suppliers? How much is the antidumping rate if someone want to buy from them?

Attachments

• image015.png
    image015.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Solar panels on the roof and overhang.png
    Solar panels on the roof and overhang.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 10
Ground Mount....You likely will run into a problem that they want a 2 foot walk path for firemen to walk around the roof.

1,2,3....you need some one to calculate the loads out for the home runs back to the panel and if you do stings then calculate out the number of panels in series and parallel. www.altestore.com is a great supplier in your area that might be willing to do some calculations for you.

4,5 there are so many options and need to read and read and read....

Good Luck

Back