diy solar

diy solar

Configure IP65 for charging Battle Born 12v 100ah

pda1

The Victron IP65 charger (bluetooth) is charging a new BB using the IP65 default values for Li-ion batteries.

The charger/bluetooth indicates the charging is in Absorption with a voltage of 14.27 and 0.0A

The VictronConnect (expert settings) says that Float voltage is Disabled.

Battle Born says to set Float voltage to 13.4v to 13.8v

- Should I leave all of these settings alone? (they can only be modified by creating a separate preset)
- If they must be changed, exactly what should the settings be?

Thanks,

Peter

The following changes are for setting the charging parameters for a Battle Born 12v 100ah battery using a Victron Blue Smart IP65 Charger 12/15 PN- BPC121531104R

Sean at Battle Born helped solve the problem. There's a preset in the IP65 for Lion batteries. Don't use that one as Float voltage will never be reached.

Do the following;

-After accessing the IP65 using the VictronConnect program you'll be in the screen with, at the top....Status....Graph....History

- Select the gear shape in the top right corner of the screen
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Advanced settings
- A Caution! screen will appear
- Select OK
- A new screen will appear
- In Charge preset click Custom
- At the bottom of the screen click Advanced battery settings
- Under Charge voltage select Absorption voltage and set it to 14.4
- Under Charge voltage select Float voltage and set it to 13.6
- Under Charge voltage select Storage voltage and set it to 13.6

- Leave Recondition voltage disabled.

I'm using an old "smart" phone that has no service and can only connect to the internet (using Wifi) and make emergency calls- the phone's 6 years old. Once VictronConnect is setup I disabled the Wifi connectivity on the phone and the program runs fine.

I DO NOT like, want, asked for or need, Victron to be able to access my location. More Spyware as far as I'm concerned. In the middle of the Atlantic is probably the best place to set this up or inside a bank vault.

I DO NOT like, want, asked for or need, Victron to be able to access my location.
VictronConnect does not use your location. I grant location access to very few apps on my phone. VictronConnect never asked for it. VictronConnect is not spyware. There are plenty of privacy violations to worry about. No need to make up additional ones.

Wrong. VC in initial setup does ask for and require location services to be activated/accepted or it will not work.

Let this matter rest. These points aren't negotiable and an arguing match will promote nothing but anger.

Must be a difference between Android and iOS. On iOS it never asked.

I suppose so. Frankly, google and android are both evil. "Don't be evil". Remember that quote from them? What a bunch of trash!

Don't get me started....smoke will start pouring from my ears.

Say, while we're on the subject....how's your 150/scc working? I'm about to connect my Victron 150/60 to 1kw of panels. A little nervous about doing so. 'Am concerned about life longevity of the scc and any stresses that might reduce it's life.

My Victron 150/45 has been flawless since it was hooked up earlier this year. But even with 990W of panels, they are mounted flat and the sun is low this time of year so I haven't seen over 600W in the last couple of months. Of course that's not due to the controller.

You have a 12V system. 1000W of solar could be up to 83A. With your 60A controller anything over about 720-820 (depending on the current battery voltage) won't get used.

No, my system will be 24v using two 12v BB in series.

I've noticed a lot of of industrial/commercial building installations with the panels either flat or almost flat and have wondered why? The only conclusion I can make is for 2 reasons- cost and wind load.

About excess generation not being utilized. Would you please explain the result if too much power is generated by the panels and the effect it would have on the scc? For example; panels can generate 5kw and the scc is designed for 75v/30a. Would the scc be destroyed?

Thanks

No, my system will be 24v using two 12v BB in series.

I've noticed a lot of of industrial/commercial building installations with the panels either flat or almost flat and have wondered why? The only conclusion I can make is for 2 reasons- cost and wind load.

About excess generation not being utilized. Would you please explain the result if too much power is generated by the panels and the effect it would have on the scc? For example; panels can generate 5kw and the scc is designed for 75v/30a. Would the scc be destroyed?

Thanks
Some excess power will simply not be used. As long as you don't go over the max input voltage. I'm not sure what impact there is on a SCC if there's way too much potential.

But in your case, 1000W at 24V is under 45A so your 150/60 won't break a sweat. Again, assuming your panel arrangement doesn't result in too much input voltage.

Well, the panels are 250w each and it'll be a 2s2p configuration.

Am very excited!

Thanks for the reply(s)

VictronConnect Android setup asked for location services to be activated/accepted but I declined and it still works fine for me. (y)

The Android location request is more to be informative that a real location request. The actual GPS hardware isn't being used, it is to let you know that by connecting to your phone to that bluetooth device it is sharing device information (MAC addresses, hardware IDs, etc.) that could be used by said device to later locate/identify you. Apple simply doesn't feel the need to tell you this, although this is exactly how their AirTags work.

If you can read MAC addresses of WiFi or Bluetooth transmitters, you can locate a device. This is how WiFi/Bluetooth location works; you listen for MAC addresses of transmitters and look these up in a giant global database.

Back