diy solar

diy solar

Confirming.... 18vdc likely too much voltage for the typical 12vdc Hi Freq Inverter?

PopDBop

I'd like to run a small'ish 12vdc inverter in the 300 - 500 watt range off of 18vdc nominal tool battery packs in travel and emergency situations, without having to lose energy using a DC-DC step down converter.

Without knowing the internals of the DC side of these 'cheapie' inverters or having reliable specs on the input voltage range, is it a foregone conclusion that 50% more voltage than expected is likely going to smoke the inverter?

If so, what's a good choice for a DC-DC converter for this level of power to protect the inverter from over voltage?

What about the small M18 inverter?

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

Sure it’s a modified sign wave and only good for 175w, but can’t get much easier than that.

Also when hardwiring 12v/18v power tool batteries for non standard use, it’s really easy to draw their voltage bellow their knee voltage causing permanent damage.

I did just use an M12 6.0ah to try and restore my lawn mower battery that froze and was reading .3v, that little m12 outputted 20-40amps for the first 30-60, seconds then tapered down to 1a as the battery voltage came up.

Back