diy solar

diy solar

Conflicting info on Lion Energy UT1300 and charger settings in my new boat system

serpa4

Good day. I just received my 4 Lion Energy 1300 UT batteries today. They will be in parallel for 12v at 420Ahr bank. They will go in my boat as house batteries. I have 870 watts of solar, Victron BMV 712 battery monitor, Victron SmartSolar Charge Controller for lithium (150v/70amp) with temp probe on battery, and Xantrex Freedom Pro XC, 3000 watt/150amp charger with a lithium setting (and battery temp probe).

On the Lion website, I found 3 documents, but I don't think they agree with each other.

1) LION Energy info on website (Lion_Energy_Safari_UT_1300_FAQ_2020514 PDF) says: FAQ question #09. What are the recommend charge settings for the Safari UT 1300?

It will take up to 14.6V in charging voltage and settle between 13.9V and 13.6V. Set your charger to its highest setting closest to 14.6V and at least 13.9V.

2) Other information on the Lion Website (Lion_Energy_Safari_1300_Manual_2019)

Says max charge voltage 14.6 volts.

3) The big conflicting information from their website (Lion-safari-config-for-victron-bmv-battery-monitor) says to setup your Victron BMV and Victron MPPT as follows:

Charged voltage for BMV: 13.9 volts

Charged voltage for Absorption voltage MPPT: 13.90 volts

Float voltage for MPPT: 13.90 volts.

Questions I have for you please:

1) I’m not sure what voltage to put into my Victron 150/70? 13.90 volts or 14.6 volts?

Is “charging voltage of 14.6” not the same as “Charged voltage of 13.9”?

My Xantrex Inverter/charger on my boat has a Lithium setting and Custom setting.

Xantrex Lithium setting is Bulk (Volts not stated), Absorption: 14.6 volts, Float: 13.6.

Custom charge settings: Absorption: 12.0 volt to 18.0 volts.

Custom charge settings: Float: 12.0 volts to 18.0 volts.

Custom charge setting: Equalize for Flooded battery (enable/disable).

Also for custom settings I can set the following:

Low voltage shutdown (with timer). i.e. 10.5 volts for 5 seconds. From 10.5 – 12.8 volts and timer 1 to 300 seconds.

Instant low voltage shutdown. Put in 10.5

Low voltage recovery (when inverter will turn back on and continue to operate). From 12.0 to 16.0 or off.

High voltage shutdown.

Thank you. I’m eagerly awaiting to dump my 4 sagging 70lb AGM G31 with my new Lion Energy UT1300. My 4 AGM from 2018 cannot support my 1000 watt micro that pulls 130 amps DC.

Any charge voltage over 13.6 volts will charge to full, however the LION may/will need the BMS to balance cells. Normally a BMS will only do this when the voltage is over 13.6 volts, so using a voltage higher is required. The maximum charge voltage is 14.6, but there will be very little difference in charge time using a lower voltage of say 14.0 volts. This agrees with the advice from LION, any voltage from 13.9 to 14.6 will do the trick. The higher the voltage the higher the stress on the battery, go for 14.0 or 14.2 volts.

Charging perimeters:
Absorption voltage = 14.2 volts
Float voltage = 13.5 volts ( a 'working' value, if the boat is not in use, reduce to a lower value below 13.3 volts)
Reconnect volts = float volts - 0.1 volt
Absorption time = 15 minutes ( or as short as allowed)

No equalization
No temperature compensation

Inverter low voltage shutdown, I would go for 11.0 or 11.5 volts to leave a few % in the battery, recovery at 12.0v. Keep the 5 seconds.

BMV712 settings

capacity = 420
charged voltage = 14.1 ( 0.1 or 0.2 below the absorption voltage used for charging)
tail current = 4%
charge detection time = 5 minutes
Peukert = 0.05
charge efficiency =99%

Have fun installing the kit. Its a totally different thought process looking after lithium. They dont need to be kept at 100% ( reduces life). They charge fast and deliver the power without voltage sag. Everything works so much better ( especially if you have SSB radio).

Mike

Thank you mike.
Silly question...
I assume both the Victron SmartSolar MPPT (150/70) and my Xantrex charger should be....
set the same as you listed above? As both have Charging parameters. Just want to make sure. Thanks.

Charging perimeters:
Absorption voltage = 14.2 volts
Float voltage = 13.5 volts ( a 'working' value, if the boat is not in use, reduce to a lower value below 13.3 volts)
Reconnect volts = float volts - 0.1 volt
Absorption time = 15 minutes ( or as short as allowed)

Based on your guidance and the readings from other websites:
Victron MPPT AND Xantrex 150amp / 3000 watt charger both using user defined settings:
- Absorption: 13.9-14.2 Me: 14.2
- Float: 13.5-13.8 Me: 13.6 I will be using my batteries daily and through night as I live on the boat. Reduce to 13.3 when I put the boat in storage for a few months at a time. It will not be charging in storage since I have no power or sun to charge it. I will 1x month plug the boat into my portable Honda generator and run for a couple hours to keep in good condition.
- Reconnect volts: 13.4 volts
- Equalize: 0

BMV712 settings

capacity = 420
charged voltage = 14.1 ( 0.1 or 0.2 below the absorption voltage used for charging)
tail current = 4%
charge detection time = 5 minutes
Peukert = 0.05
charge efficiency =99%

Let me know if this is good or bad. THanks!

Victron SmartSolar MPPT (150/70) and my Xantrex charger
Both same settings, they wont actually be the same due to differences in calibration of the units. Chargers 'play nice' with each other.
Me: 13.6 I will be using my batteries daily and through night as I live on the boat. Reduce to 13.3
Its considered that keeping the batteries full will shorten service life, with a rested battery off load, 99% is 13.5 volts, 90% is 13.4. volts. Wait until the systen is in commission and adjust the settings on the Victron as needed. Since there are variations in equipment calibration, cable volt drops, specific voltage values may/will vary between installations.
With storage and no charging possible I would rely on guidance from LION. Without specific guidance my guess would be to leave the batteries disconnected at about 60% tp 70% capacity.

Mike

Back