diy solar

diy solar

Confused about Low Temp cut off????

Rbertalotto

Solar Enthusiast
If a battery offers this feature.....And the temp drops below whatever the battery manufacturer sets the BMS charge cut off at.....The battery will stop accepting a charge....but will it still output electricity to continue running devices during the cold weather?

I understand Victron and others have SCC with low temp cut off....But if battery is in a camper, and plugged into shore power, the protection in the SCC will offer no low temp protection from the RVs converter/charger....Correct?

AND...If I use some kind of outboard device to cut charging at X low temperature.....I would also lose all electricity to the camper......Correct?

If a battery offers this feature.....And the temp drops below whatever the battery manufacturer sets the BMS charge cut off at.....The battery will stop accepting a charge....but will it still output electricity to continue running devices during the cold weather?

It depends on the battery, but most do these days. The only time they won't output is if the temp drops below the discharge cut-off temperature, which is usually -20°C.

I understand Victron and others have SCC with low temp cut off....But if battery is in a camper, and plugged into shore power, the protection in the SCC will offer no low temp protection from the RVs converter/charger....Correct?

Correct, hence the need for the battery to protect itself.

AND...If I use some kind of outboard device to cut charging at X low temperature.....I would also lose all electricity to the camper......Correct?

If you cut the supply cable from the charging source, no. The battery would still power the system.

Recommend you just get a battery with low temp charging protection and confirm it's a "separate port" BMS that also allows discharging when charging is disabled.

Once again...THANK YOU!

The biggest issue I'm finding with these LI batteries...Is dishonest vendors....They say their Chinese batteries have low temp cut off, but in one case a fellow put one in a freezer and it did not stop charging! Not sure I can trust that the battery will continue to discharge during low temperature charge cut off......I could buy the battery I'm looking at and test it, but if it doesn't work the freight to return it is a killer....I could just spend big $$ on BattleBorn .......But the $350+/- batteries from China are enticing.........

BattleBorn is running a sale on Amazon.....$799 right now for 100aH.....Best price I've ever seen on BB.

Back