diy solar

diy solar

Confused about Wires

Al Slitter

Trying to learn something new every day!
I am confused some what about the size and type of wire I should be using for my small solar set up.
I have a single 340 Watt solar panel (8.9Amps/38.2 volts). These are of course maximum output under ideal conditions.
The controller I have is Tracer-4215 BN, and is connected to a 200Ah 12 volt LiFePo4 battery. The battery uses welding
cable from the battery and BMS to two bus bars. The issue that I am having is the right cable from the bus bars to the solar controller.
With the solar panel producing approximately 7Amps what size and type of cable should I use going forward?
I had thought of using #10 AWG PVC jacketed cable which has a rating of 52Amps however using a #10 AWG silicone jackets wire is
supposed to handle up to 140 Amps???
This is just stage one, stage two will be adding and additional panel as well as another 200Ah lithium battery. When that happens I will
then move to a 24 Volt system. Because of this I want to have the wiring oversized for the eventual second phase.

Thoughts please.

Tracer-4215 BN puts out 40A max. Add 25% for 50A breaker. 8 awg would be good. (going off NEC ampacity charts.)
If this is mobile, not on a house, then any wire + insulation with 50A ampacity could work. But keep voltage drop low.

Back