diy solar

diy solar

Confused by alternator charging

FJimmy

Hi all,
I'm planning a 12v lithium battery system in my truck and caravan. The truck has a 12v 100ah lifepo battery that powers a fridge and small accessories. The caravan has a 12v 300ah lifepo battery, powering another fridge, small appliances and accessory outlets. The caravan will also have 600W+ of solar on the roof (haven't decided on the panels yet, but it will be max capacity.
I would like to add a DCDC charger to charge the lithium batteries, but I am not sure where to place it. The truck and caravan will be separated occasionally, but no longer than a day or so. Both batteries are oversize (i calculated 30a draw on the truck lifepo per day, 100a in the caravan).

1. Truck starter battery ->dcdc->truck lifepo->dcdc->caravan lifepo
2. Truck starter battery ->dcdc->caravan lifepo->dcdc->truck lifepo

The advantage of charging the truck lifepo off the caravan is that the caravan will have 600W+ of solar, + whatever comes in from solar blankets via a second MPPT. So the truck lifepo uses the caravans excess solar which is good if I am stationary for days at a time. OTOH, the DCDC charger isnt doing anything if I am driving around without the caravan attached, which seems wasteful.

If I have two isolators from the truck to each dcdc charger, how to I charge the truck lifepo from the caravan solar? I can run another cable from the truck lifepo dcdc charger to the caravan lifepo, but this seems quite messy.

Sorry if this is very simple!

Thank you.

Would I be better off getting 8x 200ah cells? 4 in the truck and 4 in the caravan?

Since alternator is the power source I would go with option 2. Mount the DCDC close to the battery getting charged.

Can always reconfigure later if the truck LFP seems to need an extra boost.

Maybe a temporary cable to attach only if needed to let the solar charge both directly when stationary for an extended period. As long as the truck is putting around most days the alternator should keep it topped off just fine.

Reactions: Mgr
Back