diy solar

diy solar

Confused wiring a Magnum MS4024pae

Nobadays

Trying to help a friend wire the off-grid solar for his cabin. Have been pouring through the manuals but can't find the answers I seek. As stated he is using an MS4024 inverter coupled with an MMP 250-60s e-panel. His generator only outputs 120vac. As I look at the wiring diagrams for the MMP 250-60s it seems to require L1/L2/Nuetral, this passes through the bypass switch to the inverter. Is there a way to wire this panel/inverter with his 120vac having only L1/Nuetral... and then get 240vac back out of the inverter? I can't find this mentioned in the manual.

My Schneider 4048 Conext allows for this as long as the hot is connected to the correct terminal so the inverter can qualify the incoming current, 240vac is then put out to my load center.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Really late but no answers.......YES the MagnaSine MS XXXX AE & PAE models can output 120/240 v.a.c. in feed through mode with only 120 v.a.c. input to L1 and N.

First hand expereince here I have a MS4024AE which is the forerunner of the MS4024PAE model and i can verify first hand that they are wired that way.

The way this is done is the AE & PAE models main transformer is a autotransformer and does convert 120 v.a.c input to 120/240 v.a.c. output in feed through mode.

If both L1 and L2 inputs are powered they MUST BE 180 degrees out of phase......i.e. not two seperate sources and not 2 legs of 3 phase (120 degrees out of phase)

Covered in detail in my manual.....

Thank you forvthe reply! Yeah I was looking at the manual for the mmp epanel, once I looked at the correct manual it was obvious.

Thanks again!

You are quite welcome, bit surprised that you answered but you have waited quite long enough...please note the Magnum qualifies L1 first and if it finds no power there it does not look to L2, if it does find power at L1 than it tries to qualify L2. It does not qualify L1 to L2

Do not in any case connect to both L1 and L2 with one phase as this will dead short circuit the transformer.

Pass through power on L1 input only will be 3600 watts (120 v. X 30 a. )

Pass through power from L1 (input) to L1 & L2 output will be 3600 watts limited by the input breaker of the inverter/charger...30 amps.

Pass through power from L1 (input) to L2 (output) (only) will be limited to 2900 watts due to limitations of the autotransformer.

I wired through L1 only on the input side. My Schneider is the same way. The Magnum also cautions to turn the charge rate down to 50% to avoid overheating the transformer due to the imbalance running loads off L1 & L2 and charging batteries.... this was done.

Thanks again!

Back