diy solar

diy solar

Connect Alligator Clips to Removable Battery Posts

dmholmes

Gotta be user error here, I haven't had a battery with removable posts before. What's the correct way to put these posts in? The positive post plastic cap is stuck to the screw so there is not enough room to for battery charger clips.

IMG_0794.jpg

Clip onto the metal in the most convenient way. Alligator clips are terrible from a technical perspective, but delightful from a convenience perspective, so it doesn't really matter.
That's the problem, the clips are hardwired on the LiFePO battery charger. There is no room to get a clip on underneath the positive cap/knob.

can you clip with one jaw in the hole and the other on the OD of the terminal - coming vertically out of the terminal?
I sent the seller a message to see what they say since the charger they sell also uses alligator clips. I'm thinking my best bet is to get screws with hex nuts attached on top like my other battery.

If it were my battery I would install grub-screw posts permanently. Removing and replacing a screw post will eventually knacker the threads in the post. Then you can connect anything to the battery with a ring terminal.

If it were my battery I would install grub-screw posts permanently. Removing and replacing a screw post will eventually knacker the threads in the post. Then you can connect anything to the battery with a ring terminal.
Thanks, sounds good. Do you have a link handy?

That looks like global battery from ebay - Jim the seller? I nearly pulled the trigger on a couple of those - how do you like it/them?

For grub screws you'll need to figure out what size threads they are. Likely source them at a local industrial supply, like Grainger, etc.. You can search for them online once you know what size/pitch they are. Most of these lifepo batteries are 6 or 8mm. Mine were 6, and I was going to use the 10mm conversion posts suggested elsewhere here, but decided to just use the 6mm posts as is. 1/4" ring terminals work fine on them.

I lock-tited mine in - they're never going to be removed. :)

Two nuts tightened together to lock it, and then held in a vice. Then unscrew.

Or head on down to the hardware store and find something with the same threads.

I have the same battery, those studs will come out of the thumb nut pretty easy. Either the 2 nut method offgriddave mentioned, or hold the stud with a pair of pliers.

I have the same battery, those studs will come out of the thumb nut pretty easy. Either the 2 nut method offgriddave mentioned, or hold the stud with a pair of pliers.
Thanks! That's exactly what I did earlier today, with a bit of cushion around the pliers to prevent thread damage. I suspect that the thumb/knob will get stuck like that every time you tighten it down. Have you found that to be the case?

I'm using bolts on my campervan install. I don't think it's tight enough with just the thumb nuts. There is a hex socket in one end of the stud so you could tighten it into the battery with that & it would stay put.

On any charger that has alligator clips, I cut the cable, add an anderson connector to both ends as well as another lead set with ring connectors and Andersons. That way you can switch ends all day long

Back