diy solar

diy solar

Connecting 24-12v step down to MPP LV2424 (first post)

dtrask

Hi all…first post…
Doing a van build and decided to buy an MPP LV2424 with 4 x 200 watt solar panels and 2 x 12v BigBattery OWLS. It’s a whole kit. I do realize that I still have some things to add like a Bluesea 12v fuse panel and a 110v panel. I’m pretty sure it’ll be easy to connect the 110v panel, but not sure about connecting 12v. I do not plan to hook into my alternator or van electrical in any way. I know I need a 24v to 12v step down converter (any recommendations?) and from that I would go to the Bluesea 12v panel….right? Is there an obvious place on the MPP LV2424 to hook up the converter for the 24v-12v source?

Second question…I’d like a battery monitor in the living space (MPP will be underneath in the “garage”) to be able to see the charge…etc. Is this a simple hookup and where exactly does it hook up? Thanks for bearing with a newbie….but I learn fast. My system isn’t here yet….just getting myself ready.

You can get your 12V across either battery. On the MPP battery voltage is 24V.

Take a look at Victron BMV-700 battery monitor.

Hi all…first post…
Doing a van build and decided to buy an MPP LV2424 with 4 x 200 watt solar panels and 2 x 12v BigBattery OWLS. It’s a whole kit. I do realize that I still have some things to add like a Bluesea 12v fuse panel and a 110v panel. I’m pretty sure it’ll be easy to connect the 110v panel, but not sure about connecting 12v. I do not plan to hook into my alternator or van electrical in any way. I know I need a 24v to 12v step down converter (any recommendations?) and from that I would go to the Bluesea 12v panel….right? Is there an obvious place on the MPP LV2424 to hook up the converter for the 24v-12v source?

Second question…I’d like a battery monitor in the living space (MPP will be underneath in the “garage”) to be able to see the charge…etc. Is this a simple hookup and where exactly does it hook up? Thanks for bearing with a newbie….but I learn fast. My system isn’t here yet….just getting myself ready.

I'm doing a very similar build with a small travel trailer and have been getting some help on mine from the more knowledgable people here. I've attached my wiring schematic. The only thing I've had mixed opinions on is where the battery monitor shunt goes after the busbar as a dead end or between the busbar and battery.

I'm using 2 SoK batteries wired in series. I'm also going with the MPP HYBRID LV2424 as it's supposedly quieter.

Attachments

• Solar Schematic Image.png
    Solar Schematic Image.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 52
Hi all…first post…
Doing a van build and decided to buy an MPP LV2424 with 4 x 200 watt solar panels and 2 x 12v BigBattery OWLS. It’s a whole kit. I do realize that I still have some things to add like a Bluesea 12v fuse panel and a 110v panel. I’m pretty sure it’ll be easy to connect the 110v panel, but not sure about connecting 12v. I do not plan to hook into my alternator or van electrical in any way. I know I need a 24v to 12v step down converter (any recommendations?) and from that I would go to the Bluesea 12v panel….right?
Typically you'd do a 24vdc -> 12vdc step-down such as this https://www.amazon.com/EBL-Converter-Regulator-Waterproof-Transformer/dp/B08DK1XLCB/ref=sr_1_3
Just FYI - you can also do a 120vac -> 12vdc regulated switching power supply for higher amps. I did a 120v -> 12vdc 1000w (83a at 12v)

Note: You do not want to get 12vdc from '1 of' the batteries in series - it will unbalance that battery.

Is there an obvious place on the MPP LV2424 to hook up the converter for the 24v-12v source?
Typically you run wires from the battery to a terminal blocks (1 for positive and 1 for negative). Its just physical way connect multiple wires together when you have 3 or 4 or 5 or more take-offs. From the terminal blocks you run wire to the MPP LV2424 battery terminals, the 24vdc -> 12vdc step-down, and perhaps other things. Each of these take-offs might have a fuse or breaker on the positive side. You might have a 'master' breaker on the positive wire between the battery and the terminal block so you have a safe way to turn everything off downstream of the battery.

A battery monitor (shunt) goes on the negative wire between the battery and the terminal block. All power in/out of the battery goes thru it so it can be measured.

I'm doing a very similar build with a small travel trailer and have been getting some help on mine from the more knowledgable people here. I've attached my wiring schematic. The only thing I've had mixed opinions on is where the battery monitor shunt goes after the busbar as a dead end or between the busbar and battery.

I'm using 2 SoK batteries wired in series. I'm also going with the MPP HYBRID LV2424 as it's supposedly quieter.
Out of curiosity why did you use 2 12V in series instead of 2 24 in parallel? Im going to be building my system soon and this caught my eye.
Thanks!

Back