diy solar

diy solar

Connecting a Pop Up Camper to Solar

Abstrakt51

Hi there. Super noob here to solar.

Inherited a pop up trailer and was looking to connect the existing battery to a new entry level solar panel kit purchased from Harbor Freight.

INSTALLED
- Energizer Marine E29HM - RC 210 - MCA - 840 - CCA - 675 (powers light and water pump when not plugged in).

PURCHASED
- Thunderbolt 100 watt solar panel kit
- 100w Solar charge regulator
- Thunderbolt 12 volt, 35 amp hour sealed lead battery
- 750 Watt continuous/1500 watt peak modified sine wave power inverter.

So my questions

- can I just connect the solar panel kit to the existing battery w/o issues? My goal would be just to charge it up enough so we can use lights and pump at night.
- am I able to charge both the new Thunderbolt battery in addition to the existing Energizer?
- is the inverter only to power things like cell phones, fans, small appliances? Would I need that in this setup? Is there a way to incorporate that into this setup?

Thanks for any feedback!

Hi there. Super noob here to solar.

Inherited a pop up trailer and was looking to connect the existing battery to a new entry level solar panel kit purchased from Harbor Freight.

INSTALLED
- Energizer Marine E29HM - RC 210 - MCA - 840 - CCA - 675 (powers light and water pump when not plugged in).

PURCHASED
- Thunderbolt 100 watt solar panel kit
- 100w Solar charge regulator
- Thunderbolt 12 volt, 35 amp hour sealed lead battery
- 750 Watt continuous/1500 watt peak modified sine wave power inverter.

So my questions

- (1) can I just connect the solar panel kit to the existing battery w/o issues? My goal would be just to charge it up enough so we can use lights and pump at night.
- (2) am I able to charge both the new Thunderbolt battery in addition to the existing Energizer?
- (3) is the inverter only to power things like cell phones, fans, small appliances? Would I need that in this setup? Is there a way to incorporate that into this setup?

Thanks for any feedback!

(1) Sounds like it
(2) Yes, if they are wired in parallel with one another.
(3) The inverter is required to run anything that needs 120VAC. If your popup has a power cord intended to power the unit from a 120VAC power source, you could simply plug it into the inverter.

Back