diy solar

diy solar

Connecting a RV for rent to a Bluetti AC200

veemyster321

Hi all,
Going to a campground that doesn’t allow u to turn on your gas generator. Curious, is there an easy plug-n-play for a Bluetti AC200 to plug-into an RV for rent?
Any details would be great.

There are adapters to convert 50A, 30A RV plugs to 15A plugs (3 prong 120VAC).

Google "50A (or 30A) to 15A RV adapter"

You would simply plug in your RV umbilical into one of the 3 prong AC ports, but you're limited to the 10-15A restriction on each of those ports (not sure what it is).

NOTE that the AC200 has a TINY battery for an RV's use (probably less than the onboard 12V). By plugging it in this fashion, you'll be charging the on-board 12V with your AC200, so any 12V power you use would only be about 75% efficient, and 1.7kWh isn't going to last you long at all. Also a good chance that it won't be able to run the microwave through the added layer of the RV system. It will probably work, but it may be too much except for short bursts.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but you should keep your expectations very very low.

Thanks for that info snoobler, I’ll take that under advisement.
I will only power lights, and basic off-grid for a few nights.
What I’m trying to do is power the RV from the 12v/25amp output that has that aviation type plug ($16 cable from Indiegogo is taking too long to get here).
Wonder if it’s okay to make a custom wire from that aviation plug to 30 amp locking plug to the RV? Or what would u do?

I'm afraid I don't follow you. In my experience (older RVs), they have one input. Either a 30A or 50A plug for AC power.

See attached. I circled in red the 12v/25amp outlet on the Bluetti (they call this the RV port). That RV port is a female aviation plug. So if I bought an aviation male 2 pin connector, some 10 gauge wire, and a 30amp locking connector to the RV service connection work if made my own? Seems like I need a device to change dc to ac or would that be possibly built in the RV? Sorry for my newbiness. Like why would I do this? 25 amp vs 15 amp output.

Attachments

• AC200.PNG
    AC200.PNG
    531 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    218.7 KB · Views: 17
DC is direct current - typical of batteries and capacitors.
AC is alternating current - typical of residential, generator and inverter outputs.

The circled output is for DC.
The yellow pigtail is for AC.

They are not compatible.

Your RV needs AC input, not DC.

As I mentioned in my initial post, you would plug the pigtail into the AC200 as indicated:

1602858466762.png

This will supply your RV with "shore power" powering all onboard devices, and the RV's onboard converter will convert to the 12V power needed.

Your RV needs AC input, not DC.
@veemyster321 and @snoobler I can see what veemyster was thinking...why bother with AC if you're only really wanting to power DC system (lights, fridge controls, etc) because don't you lose some efficiency when converting? And in this case you're convertering DC to AC in the AC200, then back to DC in the TT. But Snoobler is right- when you use that locking plug into the side of the RV it is expecting to see AC power and I think it'll override the house batteries and it'll also charge your house battery(ies).

I had this exact same question of how is it best to use the AC200 with an RV (which is how I ended up here). Like should you turn the breaker off on the converter battery charger when you plug the AC200 in? Or engage the battery disconnect so you're not losing power somewhere? Theoretically you could take out the the battery and just use the AC200 but I don't think that's a good idea, as I've read the converter doesn't like to be the only thing running your 12V system, even though it can.

One crappy part about doing this too is that your AC200 will have to be outside because that's where it needs to plug into the TT, unless you use an extension cord from the AC200 inside your truck or RV, leave a window cracked to run the cord out there. Or put AC200 on roof with cover on it (if you're in the shade). Or lock it to the trailer itself and shove it underneath.

A thought exercise: what would happen if you plug the AC200 into the shore power connection like we're talking about, but you also plug the AC200 AC adapter into one of the outlets on your TT to charge your AC200 with the RV inverter. Would it be an endless loop? Or would you eventually run out of power due to the inefficiency of it?

How do you plan on keeping the RV house battery charged if you do not use the AC200 or is that the ONLY power option available?
We hope to be at a camp where we can use AC during the day, and I will use the AC200 at night to power our spare 12v freezer at night. The RV bat should run any lights and TV at night. The house fridge will run on propane.

I am trying something similar and what I think should work is using the 30amp to 15amp AC adapter with the bluetti during the day to just use the outlets in the rv for charging devices or watching a TV.... Low power consumption devices. During the night I am going to use the 12v 10 amp dc "cigarette" socket on the bluetti to power my RV lights and furnace blower motor

Only one will be plugged in at a time and it's only for a night or 2 in fall type weather. Not looking to be winter camping full time or anything with the setup.

I have ordered the "cigarette" cable with ring terminal ends to attach to the ring terminal ends where my 12v battery usually connects. With led lights and only the furnace running(no water pump or water heater as it's winterized) it should work for a night or 2.... I would be happy to hear someone tell me this will or will not work tho... I'll update after I give it a go.
A concern is what happens with the dc system when there is "shore power" and no 12v battery... Not that I would be using any dc power during the day. I do have a 12v battery that I use but it's not the greatest and I'm not interested in. Buying another

Last edited:
I thought about that rout as well jim.
I wonder if the battery wires power an RV inverter,,,,If so, it would eat power. I need to look at this.

i was able to test out the ac200 with my rv and it works very well.... i use the ac adapter to power the rv during the day and everything works fine. even the lights and furnace work, the inverter runs them just fine with no 12 v battery hooked up it just uses more power(almost double the watts)
during the night i unplug the ac and plug in my cigarette adapter to the 12v 10 amp plug to run the furnace and lights only. i bought a cheap adapter of amazon with ring terminal ends and screw the ends of it together with the 12v battery wires from the RV and covered with electrical tape. the furnace uses 90W on dc and around 160 on ac. gets me through the night with ease in -2c temps. once the sun is out it starts to recharge
WHat a great product.... hope this helps

I to have been wondering how to use Bluetti 200p for the rv. I was thinking of putting a transfer switch and wall connector plug inside to keep indoors. Then plug 110v when needed. Not sure how to use transfer switch on 12v w the battery. Prob switch converter off . Any tips on this?

I use ac during the day with the converter running the DC things (lights,furnace,water pump). The solar panels are able.to keep up in sunny days. I'm using 2 420W panels in series.
If I'm looking to conserve power when the sun sets/cloudy I'll switch over to the 12v 10amp DC port on the bluetti as it uses roughly half the power to run the furnace and lights.

I disconnected my 12v battery and will probably never use one again.

I do leave my bluetti outside and am gonna build some sort of enclosure for it to protect from direct sun and dust

I think if you turn off the converter breaker on your panel you can hook up both ac and dc to the bluetti and get both as the converter won't be able to send power to the 12v battery, where the bluetti is connected... Going to test that out next time

Back