diy solar

diy solar

Connecting battery bus bar

Stewfish

I did a lot of searching and everything was for cell bus bars. I would like to connect two 16s batteries with thick copper bus bars.

What size copper flat stock would I need:
My 16s battery boxes are about 4 inches apart and I was thinking make 1/8th inch x 1 inch bus bars across each battery, probably 8 inches from terminal to terminal. Then drill a hole for the inverter to bolt to the bus bars. I guess stainless bolts... Add dielectric grease to prevent galanic corrosion. My inverter is 6000w (MPP LV6548) with two ever 280ah 16s batteries. 6000w at 48v is 125 amps so calculate for say 250 to 300 amps to keep heat down. On a side note I just realized if you took 4/0 wire and crushed it, it would probably be close to 1/8"x1"

The issue:
I tried lugs on my temco welding cable as jumpers between the batteries but it seems to me there is a little too much torque for my liking.and the available angles and space. The issue is the lugs from the inverter and then from the second battery have to come at more than 45 degree angles to each other bc the lugs are so wide and have ridges. I guess I could try and smash down the ridges more with a vice. The terminals from the cells make doing 90 degrees from the side and back impossible.

I did see fusion lugs that have a bend to them but they are probably going to be the same cost as bus bars. Atleast with bars I could drill and tap screws for 48v fan leads that go to my batrium K9 BMSs, 48v to 12v converters, etc, vs stacking more and more rings on the terminals.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I use 12mm copper pipe pressed flat, no idea of it's capability but I haven't had any dramas with it. I estimate it would handle around 150-200a

I use 12mm copper pipe pressed flat, no idea of it's capability but I haven't had any dramas with it. I estimate it would handle around 150-200a
Is that much cheaper than electrical panel massive copper bars that you can cut and buy from any electrical store ?

Is that much cheaper than electrical panel massive copper bars that you can cut and buy from any electrical store ?
What are you talking about? I have never seen those. Do you mean cut the breaker bars/ rear paths out of a panel?

Back