diy solar

diy solar

Connecting DC-DC Charger along with a Solar PWM Charger?

samlovecroc

First post. New the forum! Currently building out a Nissan NV200 camper to take to Ireland in a few months.

Is there any problem in connecting a DCDC charger and separate PWM charge controller? I was worried they would read the voltage of each other as 14.8V and assume the battery is charged?

Installed the DC to DC charger last weekend. Without Solar. Ran a successful test with parts not mounted down. Reassembled and shorted the DC charger input side and blew it up. Damn! Got another this week, will need to be more careful.

Any advice would be lovely. In the UK fyi.

Installed the DC to DC charger last weekend.
What model of DC to DC charger is it?

The battery determines the voltage so you can connect as many chargers as you wish to the battery, ( provided you dont exceed the recommend charge current of the battery. Usually the chargers just 'play nice' with each other.

14.8 volts seems high for a battery, what types have you fitted?

Mike

Last edited:
Yes, they'll work together. Mostly. I have a GoPower PWM solar charge controller connected to the lead acid battery on the tongue of my RV trailer. That battery also has a 45 amp AC-DC converter connected to it. When I connect to shore power or fire up the generator, the converter puts out enough (volts?) that the solar charge controller backs down the amp output from the PV. I've watched that happen.

So yes, they'll work together. But you may not get the full output of both charging devices.

Is there any problem in connecting a DCDC charger and separate PWM charge controller? I was worried they would read the voltage of each other as 14.8V and assume the battery is charged?

It's fine to run multiple charging sources into the same bank. They will both be observing battery voltage, and both will attempt to provide enough power to hold the given voltage setpoint. Like two people pulling on the same end of a rope in Tug-of-war.

During Bulk they will both be contributing the best they can. During Absorption/Float one may end up contributing more than the other but it's no big deal.

Anecdote: it's rainy here so I have a portable array deployed in addition to the mounted array. Each has their own controller and both are contributing.

What model of DC to DC charger is it?

The battery determines the voltage so you can connect as many chargers as you wish to the battery, ( provided you dont exceed the recommend charge current of the battery. Usually the chargers just 'play nice' with each other.

14.8 volts seems high for a battery, what types have you fitted?

Mike
I have a duel battery system on my truck Victron Dc to Dc charger. I want to wire my solar panels, so I get the best of both worlds. I have a Victron Solar controller. How do I wire them together?
John

I have a duel battery system on my truck Victron Dc to Dc charger. I want to wire my solar panels, so I get the best of both worlds. I have a Victron Solar controller. How do I wire them together?
John

DC-DC -> aux battery
solar panels -> solar charge controller -> aux battery
another charger -> aux battery
yet another charger -> aux battery
seriously, any number of chargers -> aux battery

Back