diy solar

diy solar

Connecting Diode

tomjay

Dear all
I got immense information and help from my fellow DIYers. First of all thank you all.

Now I need to know how to install a diode? I have 10 panels. Do I need diode for each panel? Or I need only one diode for a series? Which wire I need to connect with the diode positive wire or the negative wire Or both in one series? I bought some diodes from Amazon.

Attachments

• 9D1446DD-B02C-4DDE-AAB1-F62421B298CE.jpeg
    9D1446DD-B02C-4DDE-AAB1-F62421B298CE.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 9
Dear all
I got immense information and help from my fellow DIYers. First of all thank you all.

Now I need to know how to install a diode? I have 10 panels. Do I need diode for each panel? Or I need only one diode for a series? Which wire I need to connect with the diode positive wire or the negative wire Or both in one series? I bought some diodes from Amazon.
It would be best to explain what you are trying to do in order to get the best advise.
Also, a diode being a 1 way kind of switch need to be used in a specific direction.

In addition to mentioning what you're trying to do (series, parallel, etc) it would be useful to snap & share a photo of the inside of the patch panel on the back of one of your panels so we can see the configuration of any diodes already installed.

As I connected my multimeter, I saw 21volt on the pv terminal after sunset. Is this normal? Am I able to stop, this as I connect a diode?

As I connected my multimeter, I saw 21volt on the pv terminal after sunset. Is this normal? Am I able to stop, this as I connect a diode?
If you take a solar panel in daylight it will produce DC voltage. The might now be much current but it will produce voltage.
Do you have a problem your trying to solve or what.

In most cases, blocking diodes do not make sense. The fully illuminated current, all-the-time 1 volt diode drop sums to more net loss than partial shaded parallel series array loss. If you have panels in parallel at drastically different direction facing, like on east and west side of house, then blocking diodes will reduce loss but you should really have separate MPPT controllers on each array facing different directions.

A panel in 250-400 watt range has a typical shunt leakage resistance in the 300 ohm range but can be as low as 100 ohms or higher than 1000 ohms.

That is about 0.1 to 0.2 amps of illumination maximum current bled away on paralleled array from a shaded string.

If you have a 4 series panels with two series panels stacks in parallel and one of them is shaded, it becomes a 0.1 to 0.2 amp bleed on other fully illuminated series stack. You lose 0.15A x 144v = 21.6 watts when one of paralleled series array is shaded (in addition to shaded string loss). You lose 2 parallel strings x 1vdc x 8.3 amps = 16.6 watts all the fully illuminated time from blocking diodes on each series string. Unless you have a lot of shading time you usually end up with more cumulative loss from blocking diodes than taking the shaded time parasitic bleed current loss.

You also need some hefty heat sinking on blocking diodes to keep them from burning out from heat generation. The little diodes in the MC4 inline packages have poor reliability due to lack of sufficient heat sinking.

Back