diy solar

diy solar

Connecting inverter to consumers unit / distribution panel?

Famous_addit

Hello,

I'm looking to wire up my house. Most of the 3000/6000w 24v inverters I see Will recommend and can find easily on Amazon have 2 regular outlets to plug in AC devices but very few have terminal blocks to connect a distribution panel to the inverter.

As I would rather not have extension cables running from the inverter to multiple plugs in each room and would prefer to do things with a distribution panel. Is there anyway to connect this up to this kind of inverter?

If no, is there a reputable inverter I can buy that will work for this purpose and a budget of up to 600usd.

Many thanks

I am curious. Do you also need 240VAC too?
Are you doing full off-grid setup?

Hello,

I'm looking to wire up my house. Most of the 3000/6000w 24v inverters I see Will recommend and can find easily on Amazon have 2 regular outlets to plug in AC devices but very few have terminal blocks to connect a distribution panel to the inverter.
This is telling you something. Will recommends entry-level inverters for people just starting out in solar. In other words, play solar. Serious, whole-house inverters will NOT have NEMA sockets, but are designed to be hard-wired directly into the main electrical panel.

Take a look at Outback's VFX series, Magnum's PAE, and the Schneider Conext, and XW inverters. All designed to be hard-wired directly into a domestic split-phase main house panel. They are NOT for play solar!

If there already is grid-power available, you MUST connect the inverter to the electrical panel via a transfer switch, or either/or toggle breaker, so grid power and inverter power can never meet.

This is telling you something. Will recommends entry-level inverters for people just starting out in solar. In other words, play solar. Serious, whole-house inverters will NOT have NEMA sockets, but are designed to be hard-wired directly into the main electrical panel.

Take a look at Outback's VFX series, Magnum's PAE, and the Schneider Conext, and XW inverters. All designed to be hard-wired directly into a domestic split-phase main house panel. They are NOT for play solar!

If there already is grid-power available, you MUST connect the inverter to the electrical panel via a transfer switch, or either/or toggle breaker, so grid power and inverter power can never meet.
Many thanks! Unfortunately those brands are over my budget. I have found this 24v 3000w Inverter charger for sub-$500 and local to me:

Do you have any thoughts as to why it's 1/3rd of the price, other than being polish?

Related question: I can get very cheap 200ah batteries but only in 12v. I was planning on running 2 of these in series as per Will's video on how to do this correctly.

- Q1) Can this be done safely with 4 in series to run @ 48v? (in which case I would be looking at one of these inverters: https://www.vevor.it/invertitore-so...-caricatore-solare-50a-con-lcd-p_010485988472 )

- Q2) The safety booklet that came with the batteries specifically says not to run them in series. Is this just standard text to prevent people doing so without guidance?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Many thanks! Unfortunately those brands are over my budget. I have found this 24v 3000w Inverter charger for sub-$500 and local to me:

Do you have any thoughts as to why it's 1/3rd of the price, other than being polish?
Take a look at this link. I cut and pasted RCinFLA detailed analysis of the construction of these AiO units. Read this before spending your money.
Many of these AiO units are known to fail barely out of their warranty period. The Tier-1 brands I reference should be expected to last for decades. Don't kid yourself. You get what you pay for.
Related question: I can get very cheap 200ah batteries but only in 12v. I was planning on running 2 of these in series as per Will's video on how to do this correctly.

- Q1) Can this be done safely with 4 in series to run @ 48v? (in which case I would be looking at one of these inverters: https://www.vevor.it/invertitore-so...-caricatore-solare-50a-con-lcd-p_010485988472 )

- Q2) The safety booklet that came with the batteries specifically says not to run them in series. Is this just standard text to prevent people doing so without guidance?
This appears to be a model who's BMS does NOT allow serial wiring. So, no, it is NOT "standard text". This might explain why they are so cheap? I suggest you continue researching other brands that do allow serial wiring.

Back