diy solar

diy solar

Connecting jackery 300 to HQST solar panel

Babyshop

I’d like to connect a Jackery 300 to some HQST 100W panels (either one or two of them). I like the idea of having (permanent solar panels combined with flexibility of a portable battery). I like the Jackery 300 as it has a max input charge of 90w.
Questions:
1) do I need fuses between the panels and my DC input on the jackery? If so what size?
2) when the DC 8mm cord isn’t plugged into the jackery does it have potential to shock someone if left out. Just thinking of ways to secure the DC 8mm so as to not shock a small child (or adult)?
3) When matching voltage rating between panels and Jackery, do I need to ensure that the panel’s Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) is within Jackery’s input range or just the Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp)?

I’d like to connect a Jackery 300 to some HQST 100W panels (either one or two of them). I like the idea of having (permanent solar panels combined with flexibility of a portable battery). I like the Jackery 300 as it has a max input charge of 90w.
Questions:
1) do I need fuses between the panels and my DC input on the jackery? If so what size?
2) when the DC 8mm cord isn’t plugged into the jackery does it have potential to shock someone if left out. Just thinking of ways to secure the DC 8mm so as to not shock a small child (or adult)?
3) When matching voltage rating between panels and Jackery, do I need to ensure that the panel’s Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) is within Jackery’s input range or just the Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp)?

I want to do something very similar with 1-2 100 watt panels and a 300 watt power station.

1. From my admittedly limited knowledge, you shouldn't need fuses between the panels and the Jackery 300 as long as you configure them so they are within the Jackery's input max voltage limits. They would need to be wired in parallel, and likely aren't going to give you a much better charge time on sunny days, but could help somewhat on cloudier days.

2. Good question on the DC cord possibly shocking someone...I honestly have no idea, but you could always just tape up the end of the cord with some electrical tape when not in use.

3. You need to watch the Open Circuit Voltage and make sure it is within the Jackery's input range. I think the Jackery's input max is around 30-40 volts IIRC...so you could wire up those HQST panels in parallel but would not want to do it in series. Again though, Im not sure if you'll see a huge charging difference between two of those panels compared to just one panel, aside from cloudier days or pass-through charging other items/devices. Hopefully someone who has done it can chime in with some results because Im curious as well.

On the subject of fuses – I can't see why you should need to worry about it. In the first place, the connectors involved are generally designed so that you can't grab both a hot and neutral or positive and negative wires/terminals at the same time AND, in the second place, we're only talking about voltages under 20 V or so. for all practical purposes – as far as I know – 12 V is considered to be extremely safe and you probably wouldn't even feel anything unless you chose to connect the terminals up to your tongue or something (which I would not advise) and, as voltages go up, things get a teeny-weeny bit riskier as you go up to 24 V and up until you get around 40 V. 40 V and above your starting to get into a range where you could get a shock but even then, the risks are pretty minor. As long as the current does not pass through your heart muscle ( which means you could grab both terminals with one hand and all you would get is a bit of a shock), there is very little risk of harm. Those barrel connectors are quite safe as far as I know because the middle pin is positive and unless you start playing around with paperclips or something, it's extremely difficult to touch the center pin in the outside barrel at the same time.

Back