diy solar

diy solar

connecting to distribution center

spinnaker

I want to install 200 wats on the roof of my travel trailer. Can I run the wires from the charge controller to the plus and negative on the power distribution center inside my camper (it has a/c and d/c fuses. Which would I connect to if that can be done>

thank you

You could do that but it would be a bit odd.
What other components other than a solar charge controller, pv panels and legacy ac/distribution center will you have in your system?

I just want to run the wires from the solar panel to the controller then to the trailers d/c distribution center. Is that odd?

would you suggest a different course of ation
I asked you about the other components and you ignored me so I will have to give you a generic answer.

Almost all solar charge controllers need to see system side voltage to work.

Here is a very basic system that would allow your solar charge controller to work.
It also has an inverter so that you can power the a side of the panel.
Code:
legend {
    nnn|NNN| { fused busbar position where nnn is wire size in awg and NNN is fuse rating in amps }
    nnn|UUU| { un-fused busbar position where nnn is wire size in awg and NNN is fuse rating in amps }
    <-> { bi-directional current flow }
    -> { uni-directional current flow }
    <- { uni-directional current flow }
    | { negative busbar }
}

positive
4/0|UUU|<->400A_fuse<->battery<----->|
2/0|300|->inverter_charger---------->|
006|100|->dc_distribution----------->|
006|100|<-solar_charge_controller<---|
                              negative

Last edited:
I didn't mean to ignore your question I do have an inverter in the system as well.

Have done that on 6 RV's-works well and is simple. On some trailers the wire run from dist box to batteries is undersize or poorly done-you may get more than acceptable voltage drop. Just connect the controller to an empty DC fuse slot and put in an appropriate fuse....

Back