diy solar

diy solar

Connecting two wind turbines

ShelbyWatson

I have two 400W 12v 3 phase wind turbines and charge controllers. I also have a 24v mppt solar system.
I would like to include the WT in with the solar system. If they were 24v I could just connect them to the same battery system used by the mppt (right??).
However, they are 12v . I don't really want anything fancy or elaborate. What would be the easiest way to connect the WT to the solar system.

If they were 24V, yes, coupling your 24V WTs and charge controllers to the same battery would be fine. Might take a little tweaking to get them to work together if you're using a dump load.

Wondering if maybe you could use 2 Rectifiers 1 each for each turbine then series connect the dc side together to get your 24 volt system ? then you could hook to 24 volt charge or dump controller.

Wondering if maybe you could use 2 Rectifiers 1 each for each turbine then series connect the dc side together to get your 24 volt system ? then you could hook to 24 volt charge or dump controller.
I kind of looked at the description of a rectifier. It states it converts ac to dc. Isn't this already being done by the charge controllers?

It's my understanding they all use alternators but use an on board bridge rectifier to convert to DC. That DC is then fed into the CC, and the CC feeds the DC to the battery and applies dump loads or rotor brake as needed.

I kind of looked at the description of a rectifier. It states it converts ac to dc. Isn't this already being done by the charge controllers?
Yes the charge controllers do convert to DC . I am assuming you have the solid state charge controllers with braking ? they have a set high charge voltage that engages brake and stops charging. Bridge rectifiers convert to DC and that is it, the voltage varies with turbine RPM so say you get 14 volts at 600 RPM with a single turbine and rectifier, with 2 turbines and 2 rectifiers and series connecting the DC output sides of the rectifiers would give you 28 volts at 600 RPM . They wire dual core PMG,s that way

Last edited:
Back