diy solar

diy solar

Connecting Victron 24 v/12 v 40A Converter to WFCO WF8735 power center...or not?

Holwayout

Hello there!

Anyone have experience connecting 24v /12v converters to WFCO power centers? After removing the panels and looking inside the WFCO, I see the converter looks very integrated. (See attached pic) Not sure how to go about wiring mine in. A tech at Progressive Dynamics mentioned "bypassing" the converter portion of the WFCO (I was trying to find out if I needed a different power center to replace my WFCO unit, and he said I didn't).

This is all pretty new to me so pardon me if this is completely obvious.

This makes me wonder if I need a separate DC fuse panel. (Maybe that's what he meant, but just assumed I knew that's what I had to do? I hadn't looked at the guts of the WFCO at the time I called Progressive Dynamics.) That makes the most sense...but I'm thrown off when I see forum participants diagrams that include "buck" converters, and they show the converter having a 12 v side and a 24 v side, each with pos & neg wiring. The Victron converter simply has "In" and "Out". The link to the item on Amazon is here. Also, the instructions on the Victron Converter weren't much help.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Holly

Attachments

• WFCO-guts.jpeg
    WFCO-guts.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 10
I just connected my 24/12 converter to my 12v bus at the battery connections - then turn off the breaker for the 110/12v power converter.
This saved me when I was travelling and blew up my 24/12 converter. (Turned out to be internal fuses in the converter from a slide motor working it too hard)
You can run both at the same time without issue - I just turn mine off as it's also fed by the inverter.

I have a newer WFCO main distribution panel. The converter is a separate, enclosed, unit that can be easily swapped in/out. If you pull that green DC board out, there may be terminals on the back side you can connect your 24-12 converter's output to. On mine, there are terminals. I didn't need to solder anything.

You could also trace the bigger DC wires that go into the board. These should be the wires that come from the battery. You could tie into those wires also.

Back