diy solar

diy solar

Connector for Solar on the Side

johnpitts01

I've done a number of searches and didn't find anything on this specific topic.
I want to add ground mounted solar panels to our Truck Camper.
Will have a seperate Victron MPPT solar controller to manage the ground mounted array.

What is the best through wall connector for this applciation?
Many RV's come with a "Solar on the Side" connector using SAE plugs.
Is there anything better? Or are the SAE plugs up to the task?

Initially I will have 120W of portable ground mounted panels. May double that to (2) 120W panels.

Seems odd that the cables from the panels have the usual solar connectors. Yet the connector to most RV's is via SAE plug.

Not many good choices that I found. I went with the Zamp sae connector on mine, but wired it differently, they use the male end as positive on the battery side. Probably to try to make it more proprietary. There is also Furrion, which looks more robust and professional but seems limited to 10a.
I just ran the sae to the fuse panel on the trailer, didn't put the controller inside. I use the solar panels on the trolling motor battery as well so use different connection methods.

I'm using an SAE connector on my RV trailer to connect 640 watts of ground deployed solar. Works good as long as someone doesn't trip over the wires.

Many like Anderson Powerpole connectors:

Chassis mount with cover also available.

I see an Anderson Pole panel mount available that is "weather resistant". My experience with items labeled as weather resistant is that they are not. ;-)

IP64 rated FWIW.

Or if you have access to a 3D printer:

Last edited:

IP64 rated FWIW.

Or if you have access to a 3D printer:

That looks promising. How do I make that a panel mount?

You would have to cut a hole to fit.

Perhaps one of the other offered solutions is your preference.

I'm using an SAE connector on my RV trailer to connect 640 watts of ground deployed solar. Works good as long as someone doesn't trip over the wire

I'm using an SAE connector on my RV trailer to connect 640 watts of ground deployed solar. Works good as long as someone doesn't trip over the wires.
What voltage you running? How many total amps thru SAE connector. Is it gets warm or loose?

My ground panels are wired in series, so 81v Voc and 10 amps. It's never come loose. The last time out camping, it was well below freezing, so the wires never had a chance to get warm.

My ground panels are wired in series, so 81v Voc and 10 amps. It's never come loose. The last time out camping, it was well below freezing, so the wires never had a chance to get warm.
I could not find any specs for SAE, max amp. I found on other forums guys saying it's 15A but no engineering specs. 15A will work for me I have only 150W panel. But I wish to now specs for my future builds. XT60 is looks like better option for higher amps, but limited choices for wall mounting. I seen also Neutrik audio connectors really like them, Neutrik will be my next choice probably.

Pretty sure those CNLINKO connectors are the same as the Furrion connector. Just seems more robust than the SAE connector

I’ll there in a couple of lessons learned from my ground panels.

-First, I found a file to run my cables that did not require any additional connectors, I ran MC4 through, and it worked fine, but you needed one per wire

-Next, I had Anderson Power Pole Connectors on the ground mounted panels and they made a bad connection. The 30 amp version was not designed for my 10 AWG wires. FOr 14 AWG wire they were fined but thicker, enfed up bending them unevenly.

-Finally, I am looking for a two conductor connector to mount to the side. I am worried about the external wires to the RV connection, where the external connectors weigh down on the RV connection and I look at the connection that torques too much and will break it. I’ve seen some songle conductorMC4 designed to be ian entry point to the RV and these don’t seem to like they can stand up to torque like cable weight or when one of these cables try to blow away.

I’ll there in a couple of lessons learned from my ground panels.

-First, I found a file to run my cables that did not require any additional connectors, I ran MC4 through, and it worked fine, but you needed one per wire
What is the file?

Pretty sure those CNLINKO connectors are the same as the Furrion connector. Just seems more robust than the SAE connector
I can confirm that they are way more robust than an SAE Connector. They are very well made connectors and worth the price.

Check out the connectors from CNLINKO on Amazon.

CNLINKO 2 Pin Power Industrial...
CNLINKO 2 Pin 50Amp Power...

I was going to use them in this Solar Generator build but ended up with the Anderson Power Pole socket from PowerWerx.

I got around to looking at these connectors. Very nice looking. I'm not sure that they would work well for my situation since in their specification the cable size is 6 awg. The PV wire I'm using is 10 awg. I'm thinking that would make for a loose entry into the plug.

Back