diy solar

diy solar

consequences of a throwaway society?

Which countries? I couldn't find any specific mandates (outside of individual incidents)
Japan, Germany, other EU countries. You pay big-time to have/maintain an old vehicle rather than replace it, for example. Certain horsepower is limited, some cc limits on motorcycles that aren’t grandfathered. USA and Canada, even mexico are the fliers on the world stage.
after they stopped being produced in the U.S. In Acapulco one entire fleet of taxis uses bugs. (Vocho in Spanish) They seem to still have parts, and they keep them running, one way or another
I don’t believe they were ever us produced…
Yes, there is a raging aftermarket for aircooled parts: they were designed to be renewable. VW had the most amazing part numbering convention, too.
But that’s not entirely capturing my thoughts. If “we” applied serviceability to things today - that used to be important 40+ years ago - and folded in today’s technology and supply chain dynamics…what an amazing thing we’d have just in automobiles for affordability and quality.
Greed and corporate bloat are the end goals today whereas corporate viability and value to the consumer used to be viewed as the drivers of corporate success.
Some would argue that is not true, and state a laundry list of reasons defending that position.
But look at two companies as easy picking fruit: IBM and AMC(jeep). Or we could add the corvette group at GM with how they’ve handled the LS engine.
AMC was stuck in the past even in 1975 but the jeep would run forever with a nice diet of very inexpensive replacement parts for a vehicle a certain market segment wanted. IBM did all kinds of different things but were recognized for durable value and adaptability in the marketplace. The USA-made iBM-derived chips they make (now global foundries) right here are spec’d for things from the military to Apple.
Both are durable brands, although I’d argue jeep has been watered-down a bit after the Chrysler development and spinout.

So to my observation we have excellent technology available, the knowledge to be durable, and current evidence that durability is valued (Tesla: what if they engineered a line of low-price-point vehicles?! You can’t say they haven’t developed a great line in the sports luxury segment)
With electric vehicles, new car sales in any brand should slow remarkably as things develop. Battery replacements and bearings, some AC stuff will be the service items. That is unless they engineer things to require early replacement AGAIN making it appear to be more expensive to repair than to dispose snd but new.

We have the technology. We need the cultural fortitude to accept a decline in the auto industry and embrace the useful things one might do if so much otherwise disposable income wasn’t sloughed by the cost of personal transportation.

the cheaper products would outsell the more expensive, durable products 10-1
Yes, to a point.

At some period of market saturation “the natural price” and consumer experience would diminish sales of cheap and glom onto the used market of more costly.

In a way we see that in automotive now: I hate the ergonomics and styling of Toyota but they still seem to run forever; and Hyundai became a thing by entering cheap but running forever and now they have a loyal following like the datsun b210 had

In a way we see that in automotive now: I hate the ergonomics and styling of Toyota but they still seem to run forever; and Hyundai became a thing by entering cheap but running forever and now they have a loyal following like the datsun b210 had
Wife's 2nd fave car. We bought a demo'd Hyundai Sonata. It was my wife's luxury upgrade. It was *nice*! Drove it a long time. Had to trade it in after we retired and tried to car camp in it. I packed all our stuff in it, but the weight compressed the springs and it was undriveable. Forced to upgrade so we could tour the country safely.

tried to car camp in it. I packed all our stuff in it, but the weight compressed the springs
I had a 318 that I abused towing a boat (which was fine) but camping? Forget it. It was a four-passenger and a bag of groceries vehicle maybe. Nice economical car, though.

Can you imagine today if you could buy a beetle with crash technology, battery technology, resin technologies, etc and support the car with parts in perpetuity?!
The only reason you see VW Beetles on the road today is because they don't have " crash technology, battery technology, resin technologies, etc"
Wait till Tesla owners start getting messages on their screens saying "this version is no longer supported"

Back