diy solar

diy solar

Considering a Tesla Model S battery for storage

Cabledoo

I'm seriously considering getting a 24V Tesla battery for storage on my Shuttle Bus conversion.

I have an 80A MPPT all-in-one charger / inverter.

can anyone tell me (other than the panels) what else I would need to make this a complete system? I'm sure I need a BMS for the battery....which one?

Go to YouTube and search for Tesla battery fires .... and figure out what needs to be done to mitigate the risk.

more cost than what you want to spend for your application is the EVTV Tesla controller,

they reverse engineered how to use the Tesla BMS boards to properly control the battery, just as Tesla does as the OEM

I document my build at home, from years ago upto my recent (2 years ago) switch to using Tesla batteries for my house. the EVTV controllers works great. But again is designed for multiple modules based used, due to cost.
It supports upto 62 tesla modules

There is a reason Tesla is moving to all LiFePO4 cells.

ModelS modules are 6s packs. Voltage to low for most turn key systems. EVTV and Siganeer offer an inverter that has the modelS profile designed for the ModelS modules. If you want to see what happens if you use a standard charger and are less than smart look at Rich Rebuilds Battery fire. The ovetcharged with no BMS 2 ModelS packs in series and......

The biggest issue with using tesla packs is voltage.
25.6MAX voltage is not correct for readily available inverters. Nor is the 18V disconnect...

Additional risks are fire related. The modules are EXTREMELY sensitive to discharge and charge rates, and no low dollar bms can safely deal with them

Get LiFePO4 and enjoy correct charge profile, easy use, far safer... and easily available new for less than the tesla packs.

Back