diy solar

diy solar

Constant vibration to affect panel lifespan/ efficiency

alborosillica

Couldnt find if this has already been discussed, but I'm about to mount some 350 watt panels on my van. Concerned that bowing up and down might cause central solar cells to fatigue on a nano level, or other related micro damage. I look at house arrays and they don't shake unless there's an earthquake. Hope someone can lend perspective

I always figured one firm bolted connection plus one rubber mounted connection that allows a bit of expansion would solve that.

I'd also be interested in hearing what others have done.

Wind is always an issue for solar panels. There should be a wind rating for your panel. The higher the rating, the better it withstands wind. My panels from Mission Solar had a higher wind rating than any panel I had seen. That sealed the deal for me. My panels are mounted on top of my RV trailer.

Wind is always an issue for solar panels. There should be a wind rating for your panel. The higher the rating, the better it withstands wind. My panels from Mission Solar had a higher wind rating than any panel I had seen. That sealed the deal for me. My panels are mounted on top of my RV trailer.
These LGs are at 4000 pascals, which seems like it can withstand a hurricane!

These LGs are at 4000 pascals, which seems like it can withstand a hurricane!

The brochure for my Mission Solar panels lists a 5631 Pa front and back load, using UL 1703 testing. I travel a lot in Wyoming so the high wind rating was important for me.

I travel a lot in Wyoming so the high wind rating was important for me.
I-80 is fun between Cheyenne and Evanston. I've had scary drives in just my Tacoma. I can't imagine future drives with my 7x14 converted cargo trailer.

My three 330 watt panels are each mounted to my roof rack at five points along both long sides of the panel frame. But that doesn't help with the vibration of the panel itself within the frame. Mine are 5600pa front/4000pa rear.

It will be interesting to see how well they survive traveling all of the country the next few years.

I-80 is fun between Cheyenne and Evanston. I've had scary drives in just my Tacoma. I can't imagine future drives with my 7x14 converted cargo trailer.

My three 330 watt panels are each mounted to my roof rack at five points along both long sides of the panel frame. But that doesn't help with the vibration of the panel itself within the frame. Mine are 5600pa front/4000pa rear.

It will be interesting to see how well they survive traveling all of the country the next few years.

You know you're in a real Wyoming headwind when you're on flat ground and the transmission is getting close to overheating. Returning from a trip to Montana I was heading east on I-80 out of Rock Springs. I glanced down and noticed the transmission temp was in the 230's. Not enough to alarm me, but it was enough to realize the headwind was really, really strong. I love Wyoming, but I sure do hate the wind.

Back