diy solar

diy solar

Continuity between cell casing and negative terminals?

hipringles

Solar Enthusiast
Is this normal or expected? I'm guessing so? Doing a checkup on system after first real road trip...

Is this normal or expected? I'm guessing so? Doing a checkup on system after first real road trip...
Some is normal… not a true common continuity, but some leakage through the electrolyte…

Unless you are talking cylindrical cells… then, yes. The casing IS the negative terminal.

Some is normal… not a true common continuity, but some leakage through the electrolyte…

Unless you are talking cylindrical cells… then, yes. The casing IS the negative terminal.
That makes total sense. And by continuity i simply mean hearing the beeping on the meter. Originally I (thought) I was getting continuity only between some cells and negative, but I was hitting the ink on the QR code (or pvc wrapping) on those. All tested with continuity to negative.

Was verifying no hotspots, wires in good condition, no continuity to frame, bolt torque, etc... and noticed my original question :)

My Eve cells have continuity between the positive terminal and the case. IIRC it was over 1000 ohms.

Back