diy solar

diy solar

Controller sizing - Help please!

911euro

I'm seeking some guidance as I complete my system design drawing with regard to panels and controllers. I plan to use three of these panels and I'm most conflicted with/fixated on the VOC for this panel necessitating a huge and pricey controller. Parallel vs Series - several sources say the LONGEST wire run in parallel cannot be more than 24 feet to the controller? My preference would be to wire in parallel and I'd be right at that distance limit. I have an email from what i would consider a reliable source stating that I could use a Victron Smartsolar 150/70TR. I'm not so sure about that. Any advise you could provide is MUCH appreciated.

Attachments

• 1577149728207.png
    1577149728207.png
    267.3 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to the forum.
24' is only a limit for a given wire size. If you go bigger you can go longer. With 3 panels you are pretty locked in to parallel. I know of no 12v SCC that will accept 150v. So you need to wire for 18 amps over 24' X 2 (round trip).

So what would the math be to determine the PV wire size(60 feet to be safe) and controller specs? This panel has 10 AWG. Thanks.

I'm seeking some guidance as I complete my system design drawing with regard to panels and controllers. I plan to use three of these panels and I'm most conflicted with/fixated on the VOC for this panel necessitating a huge and pricey controller. Parallel vs Series - several sources say the LONGEST wire run in parallel cannot be more than 24 feet to the controller? My preference would be to wire in parallel and I'd be right at that distance limit. I have an email from what i would consider a reliable source stating that I could use a Victron Smartsolar 150/70TR. I'm not so sure about that. Any advise you could provide is MUCH appreciated.
Have you watched Will's YouTube videos? Have you bought his book? Have you looked at his blueprints, for instance: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/4000-watt-24v-solar-system.html

Back